Communication Assistant (TA), (GS-6), San José,Costa Rica
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does — in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life — in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions — her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the inclusion, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens — addressing inequity — not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
For every child, a champion
Under the supervision of the Communication Officer, the incumbent is responsible for designing and editing corporate materials used by the Costa Rica Country Office, editing, designing and layout of all materials published through the UNICEF office, supporting sector counterparts on publications and managing support to digital initiative related to knowledge management, such as cyber library for children, as well as providing weekly scans of news and information published elsewhere about children in Costa Rica and participates in Costa Rica CO Knowledge Management Process.
How can you make a difference?
We are looking for a dynamic and innovative Communication Assistant to support UNICEF’s Costa Rica in the following areas:
• Support the implementation of the UNICEF communication strategy
• External events for advocacy
• Digital communication and adjusting audio-visual materials
• UNICEF Website and other online initiative supported by UNICEF
• UNICEF fundraising strategy
Support the implementation of the UNICEF communication strategy
• Support in the production of communication products and materials for different audiences, but mainly mass media
• Adapt global communications materials to the local context when is required
• Monitor and record the information published by the mass media and digital media related to UNICEF and important national children topics
• Assist in drafting and editing articles, press releases, human interest stories and other advocacy/information materials for both web, blogs and traditional media.
• Implement the tasks in the country communication work plan and strategy as assigned
• Provide technical support in the designing and production of documents and materials essential for the implementation of the communication and advocacy strategy of UNICEF Costa Rica, when it is required.
• Ensure with the specialists and officers that all materials designed are accompanied by detailed and pertinent distribution list, and follow up its delivery.
• Guarantee the proper use of the logo of UNICEF in publications and documents produced by partners and allies.
• Maintain updated the data base of journalists and opinion leaders and keep close collaboration with mass media
External events for advocacy
• Provide logistical and technical support to UNICEF Costa Rica office during public and internal activities such as workshops, events, meetings, where it is required.
• Ensure that the country office contact list of individuals, groups, or organization, including government are up to date
• Assist in preparing communication materials for advocacy events according to audience and relevant for UNICEF
• Follow up on the agreements established in the plan advocacy when required
Digital communication and adjusting audio-visual materials
• Support the implementation of digital strategy identifying materials related to bi-annual content map and pictures to develop the contents for the UNICEF digital channels
• Adjust the Global social media materials to local content with data or a proper local language
• Support public events taking pictures/videos and administrate and keep updated the photo and video gallery.
UNICEF Website and other online initiative supported by UNICEF
• Update the UNICEF Costa Rica website with local, regional or international information. Follow up the Google analytics metrics and submit a quarterly report to keep updated the KPI’s set by HQ. Support the counterparts to ensure the updating of the websites with pertinent information.
• Maintains regular contact with those managing knowledge and data at other agencies and public bodies to ensure all recent publications on children are updated in the cyber library for children available and other digital initiative promoted or supported by UNICEF Costa Rica.
UNICEF fundraising strategy
• Support the implementation of the UNICEF partnership and fundraising strategy in the management of meetings with private sector companies, the preparation of presentations on UNICEF's work in this sector and the development of fundraising campaigns with the private sector, as well as the design and dissemination of accountability materials.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
Diversity and inclusion
Working with People [II]
Drive for Results [II]
Applying Technical Expertise [II]
Following instructions and Procedures [II]
Planning and Organizing [II]
To qualify as a champion for every child you will have:
- High School Diploma. University courses in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, and knowledge in Graphic Design is an asset.
- Seven years of practical professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media, interactive digital media and/or publicity.
- Photography skills, software knowledge for basic Graphic and Editorial.
- Other skills related to specific domains within communication and fundraising would be an asset.
- Digital Communication skills.
- Experience in an international organization is a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish and English.
General Service Staff are recruited locally. Candidates must be in possession of an existing work permit or resident/citizen of Costa Rica to be considered eligible for this post. Please note that General Service (GS) staff are locally recruited staff and therefore, candidates are personally responsible for any travel and accommodation arrangements.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: San José
- Grade: GS-6, General Service
- Closing Date: 2017-06-21