We are looking for a qualified team player with experience in the design & execution of construction activities, IDPs situation and NGOs sector for the position of Technical Assistant, based in Al Anbar, Iraq.
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 450 national staff and 45 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations.
About the job:
The Technical Assistant, field based, will be responsible for conducting shelter assessments and supervision monitoring during execution of shelter assistance work either by construction companies or on a beneficiary self-approach basis. On a daily basis the Technical Assistant reports to the Site Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the general supervision of the Site Supervisor, monitor and supervise construction work at buildings as defined by project requirements, technical standards, specifications and other documentation.
- Identify direct and indirect beneficiary needs in terms of access to suitable shelter, housing, infrastructure, WASH facilities and other community services, taking into consideration the specific needs of vulnerable individuals and persons of concern.
- Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Work closely with the Site Supervisor in order to implement projects according to relevant local, national and international technical standards.
- Conduct site assessments and support the Site Supervisor with design and planning of works as requested.
- Ensure daily monitoring of the quality and quantity of construction and the progress of project/works implementation.
- Ensure that work executed is in line with all relevant contract documents
- Provide regular updates on progress to supervisor and other team members, including other departments and sectors as appropriate.
- Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to the relevant supervisor, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions.
- Be responsible for safe storage, inventory and maintenance of materials, tools and equipment.
- Follow up with labourers and contractors as necessary.
- Manage safety and security of the construction site, workshops and associated areas, including of staff and labourers.
- Elaborate BoQ quantities for the tender stage and conduct a joint final measure or quantities executed at site with the representative of the company
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line Manager;
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct, HAP and other key documents.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University degree in construction/civil engineering, or other relevant technical background.
- Work experience in supervising shelter construction projects, including on-site WASH, infrastructure and electrical networks.
- Experience working with or for NGOs and/or UN agencies, particularly international humanitarian organisations in refugee / IDP contexts.
- Proficiency in spoken and written Arabic is essential.
- Proficiency in the following computer programmes: MS Excel, MS Word.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Proficiency in Autocad.
- Professional registration or accreditation by the relevant regulatory body or association.
- Experience in team management.
- Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards (e.g. Sphere)
Ideally, you will also have…
- Excellent communication and organisation;
- Systematic planning and analytical skills
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
- Punctuality, professionalism and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
- Ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making;
- Independent work showing initiative, i.e. with minimal supervision and under pressure;
- High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data;
- Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work;
- Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a 6 Months contract, renewable dependent on both funding and performance.
You must be available to start work from 1 July 2017 and be willing and able to work in Al Anbar.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level B2.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages).
Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close on the 19 June. The interviews are expected to take place on the 20 June.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Anbar
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-06-19