Temporary Assignment: Programme Officer (Special Assistant to the Representative), P-2, Damascus Syria (364 days)
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision of head of office, manage overall coordination/supervision of the total programme commitment of a large size country office with a broad range of projects,
Including programme/project formulation, design, planning and management with strategic focus on achievement of UNICEF's Organizational priorities.
The incumbent will support the Representative by providing management and monitoring support by following up on a number of corporate responsibilities of the Representative.
Key Expected Results
- Effective knowledge management and system, information exchange and the development of training and orientation materials developed and deployed for strengthening of country programme management and activities.
- Situation Analysis prepared/updated, critical programme intervention point/measures identified, and programme work plans/recommendations prepared and incorporated. Programme reports prepared as required.
- Programme funds optimally used.
- Programme monitoring and evaluations effectively conducted to improve programme performance, and programme status report timely prepared.
- Rights-based and results-based programming approach fully incorporated into all phases of programme and projects processes.
- Commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners gained and established.
- Rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels incorporated in policy analysis for establishing and elevating UNICEF’s credibility in national and international policy debates.
- Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme development/management/coordination, information sharing and networking.
- Review documents and distil most relevant action points for Representative’s knowledge and action.
- Compile/draft presentations to Country Management Team (CMT), United Nations Country Team (UNCT), Regional Office (RO) based on inputs from programmes and provide editorial and substantive input as necessary.
- Ensure timely preparation of substantive materials, including background papers, speeches and speaking notes for meetings with Governments, senior UN Agency and NGO personnel, the diplomatic corps, as well as internal, inter-agency and donor meetings, participate in such travel and meetings as required, reporting on outcomes and following up on actions decided within given deadlines.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
University degree in Social Sciences, sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution.
2. Work Experience
- Two years of relevant professional work experience.
- Developing country work experience (for IP) or field work experience (for NO) Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Excellent writing and presentation preparation skills
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in Arabic is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ II ]
3. Functional Competencies
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
- Analyzing [ I ]
- Applying Technical Expertise [ I ]
- Learning and Researching [ II ]
- Planning and Organizing [ II ]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Damascus is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Damascus
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-06-19