Juba | Sudan
Background Information - Job-specific
Responsible to the OC Director and Country Representative, and reporting through the EU ZEAT BEAD project manager, the Reporting Officer will play an instrumental role in supporting attainment of SSOC’s vision by supporting reporting on the OC’s programmes and projects in general, and the EU funded ZEAT BEAD project in particular
Background Information -South Sudan
The UNOPS South Sudan office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All UNOPS operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. UNOPS is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including: transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization and emergency response.
The Reporting Officer shall perform, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Strategic Reporting
- Support the SSOC Director in all reporting activities in line with the SSOC plan, and in coordination with UNOPS corporate policies and procedures;
- Assist in a ‘brand guardian’ role by supporting development and editorial oversight of l public materials, including the website, presentations, proposals and reports;
- Assist in development of media materials relevant to EU ZEAT BEAD’s plan, as well as SSOC’s business plan;
- Participate in organization-wide communication related planning by representing SSOC in interagency working groups and task forces and liaising with other information managers;
- Ensure maintenance of the Communication Strategy and Stakeholder Engagement strategy for EU ZEAT BEAD and SSOC;
- Implement a reporting plan for all internal and external communications;
- In conjunction with the EU ZEAT BEAD project manager, as well as SSOC programme and project managers, ensure the timely delivery of progress reports to donors and project partners in compliance with legal requirements;
- Maintain regular contacts with the all project teams to ensure timely and accurate data relating to the progress of works;
- Ensure adherence to internal reporting mechanisms;
- Support implementation of the SSOC visibility plan including the production of project factsheets and other visibility materials including the timely distribution of press releases when required;
- Coordinate regularly with the UNOPS’ communications office in HQ and focal point at the East Africa Hub (EAH) to ensure the timely update of programme related information;
- Prepare briefing notes for internal and external audiences on programme performance and other issues, as and when required.
2. Management and mentoring
- Provide support to teams in the preparation of promotional materials, event planning as well as organization and outreach programmes.
3. Report Writing
- Overall editorial responsibility for EU ZEAT BEAD and SSOC reports on activities, including monthly newsletters, substantive monthly and/or quarterly progress reports, and annual reports.
4. Public Information/ Media Relations
- When applicable support any required media relations campaign to ensure the desired level of positive press coverage in national and international media; analyze and report on the impact of coverage;
- briefing documents and guidance to UNOPS spokespeople
- When required, represent the Project Manager, in relevant inter-agency working group;
6. Knowledge Management
- Implement daily aspects of EU ZEAT BEAD’s and SSOC’s stakeholder engagement and communications strategies;
- Assist in development and coordination of internal process flows for implementing the full and up to date records for all projects in accordance with UNOPS’ knowledge and document management policies and procedures;
- Perform any other duties deemed necessary by the OC Director and Country Representative.
- Advanced University Degree in Communications, Project Management, Business Administration, Political/Security/ Studies, or other relevant discipline.
- A first level university degree combined with two additional years of relevant experience will substitute the requirement for an advanced degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; at least 1 year experience in reporting;
- Competent in the use of spreadsheets and MS Office. Knowledge in use of other computer programmes will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS procedures a key advantage;
- Experience of working in conflict or post-conflict environments desirable;
- Previous experience of working with UNOPS an advantage.
- The candidate must be thoroughly proficient in written and spoken English;
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA -1
Contract duration: 12 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Juba | Sudan
- Grade: IICA-1, International Individual Contractors Agreement
- Closing Date: 2017-06-14