Infrastructure and Project Management Analyst, Multiple positions
Background information - IPMG
UNOPS strategic focus places increased emphasis on national capacity development and sustainable approaches to project management, procurement and infrastructure services. A key objective is to be recognized as an organization that delivers world-class infrastructure and project management, which is both economically and socially sustainable, even in the most challenging environments. To achieve this goal, UNOPS has established the Infrastructure and Project Management Group (IPMG).
Within UNOPS, IPMG’s objectives are to serve the organization’s personnel and partners by broadening their infrastructure and project management capabilities, while disseminating best-practices in both of these areas. Through this work, the group helps facilitate the successful delivery of programmes and projects around the world.
Background Information - Job-specific
Working within the Infrastructure and Project Management Group, the successful incumbent will be expected to be responsible for providing expert technical support to one of the IPMG technical work stream. IPMG structure comprises of three work streams of Strategic Positioning, Standards and Implementation Support, which are supported by a Programme Support Unit in administration, logistic, HR, communication and budget monitoring.
**** the VA is for multiple full-time positions (however one of the positions will be part-time based)
The IPM Technical Analyst will be responsible for the following:
- Provide technical support in the creation or management or implementation or promotion of UNOPS infrastructure and project management standards framework
- Ownership of various tasks, work packages and projects as outlined and assigned in the annual work plan for the practice ;
- Responsible for meeting and setting goals, targets and performance standards; reporting on own progress against work plan;
- Responsible for timely delivery of products and work packages under the supervision of respective workstream manager.
- Editing and review of documentation and templates based on various OI’s, OD’s and Guidance;
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders and provide support in document and resource management (retainers);
- Provide research and data collection on specific topic upon request by supervisor;
- Perform other duties as and when assigned.
Reporting & Tools:
- Identify areas for improvement and provide on-going maintenance and updates of the IPMG workspace with the most current information, relevant to infrastructure and project management;
- Drafting and full editing of articles, presentations, e-mails and other communication on Infrastructure and project management practices
- Collaborate with colleagues for mission reporting – filing and follow up actions as required, when applicable;
- Support the team with stakeholder management (internal and external) and establish communication strategy for effective outreach;
- Support production of reporting - quarterly progress reports, management reports, and end of year report; including Development IPMG workspace with new case studies, client profiles, UNOPS best practices.;
- When requested support IPMG Communications focal point for improvements to existing and new infrastructure/project management intranet with focus on usability for project managers and field offices; support in updating intranet page specific to the stream.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Setting standards, personal and development objectives in Performance Evaluation Review
- Learning MS Sharepoint
- Completion of satisfactory 3 months probationary period, based on completion of tasks
- Ongoing assessment of task completion, which meets quality expectations
- Successfully meeting deadlines based on workplan
- Completing progress reports as requested
- An Advanced University degree in Development Studies, Project Management, International Relations, Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or other relevant discipline is required.
- A first-level University degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) in combination with additional 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree;
b. Work Experience
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in project management and infrastructure or development field is required;
- Previous working experience in developing countries in an international environment is desired;
- Experience with infrastructure and project management in UNOPS context is considered an asset;
- Understanding of project management/infrastructure and engineering technical standards and language is considered an asset;
- Experience with MS SharePoint is considered an asset;
- Technical proficiency in project management/infrastructure and/or engineering will be considered an asset;
PRINCE2® Foundation certificate would be desirable.
- •Fluency in English required.
- •Fluency in French and/or Spanish is considered a valuable asset
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Time Management Ability
- Excellent research writing skills
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional Communication Skills
- Goals oriented and driven
- Creative and Innovative
- Excellent analytical ability
- Ability to develop and draft reports
- Organizational Ability and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork Skills;
- Promotes a knowledge sharing and learning culture in the office – internally with IPMG, but also across HQ entities and Regions
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Commitment to Diversity
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA1
Contract duration: One year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.