Background Information - Job-specific
The Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council (WSSCC) is a global, multi-stakeholder membership and partnership organization that works with poor people, their organizations, governments, and small-scale entrepreneurs to improve sanitation and hygiene at scale. Founded in 1990, the Council maintains a membership of over 4,000 water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) professionals from over 80 countries. The United Nations Office of Project Services (UNOPS) is the legal and administrative host of WSSCC.
The mission of the Council is to ensure sustainable sanitation, better hygiene and safe drinking water for all people, with the focus on the poorest and most marginalized members of society in low- and middle-income countries in Africa and Asia.
In order to achieve its mission, WSSCC facilitates sector coordination at national, regional and global levels, and engages rights holders and duty bearers to adopt policy guidelines on menstrual hygiene and disability.
The Council also supports national sanitation and hygiene improvement programmes through its Global Sanitation Fund, coordinates knowledge platforms, and advocates on behalf of the 2.4 billion people without access to improved sanitation. Read more at www.wsscc.org
The Communications Intern A will work with the Corporate Communications, Production and Marketing team, under the External Affairs, Communications and Country Coordination Department.
Under the supervision of the Corporate Communications Officer, and working with the communications team, the Communications Intern shall perform these duties:
- Assist with the organization, classification and systematic use of WSSCC’s photo library and filing systems.
- Assist the Production Analyst with tasks including dissemination of reports and inventory management.
- Assist the Graphics Analyst with drafting a range of visual materials, including banners and flyers using Photoshop. This involves research for creative presentation of facts and figures.
- Contribute to WSSCC’s social media platforms by supporting the team to develop regular high-quality content, slideshows, including video. Work with the team to identify and develop new audiences, for example through campaigns and strategic alliances ensuring clear and vibrant communications.
- Support the WSSCC writer/editor to develop quality content for the WSSCC website, including multimedia pieces, and be an active participant in improving the website’s function.
- Assist with coordination and organization of internal and external events. Participate at meetings and events, as required.
- Conduct research and duties as requested contributing towards the implementation of the updated Communications Strategy and Action Plan.
- Conduct research and duties as requested contributing towards the timely development, production, and delivery of WSSCC’s flagship reports.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Corporate Communications Officer.
Training components and participation in missions
UNOPS highly values interns’ contributions and realizes the importance of learning during an internship. UNOPS thus provides a wealth of opportunities for on-the-job training, studying project-related documents, data analysis, and preparation of reports and statistics. UNOPS encourages the intern to raise specific wishes regarding learning opportunities before and during the internship.
Applicants must be either currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD course in a relevant field (e.g. communications including graphics and audio-visual, international relations, international development, public policy, economics, etc.), or have graduated within the past three years prior to the application date of the internship.
Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of a second language is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Proven ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, and recommend solutions.
- Ability to work systematically, accurately and under pressure.
- Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: Internship Agreement
Contract duration: 6 months.
This internship is not designed to lead to a paid position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. Further, UNOPS may provide a one-time travel lumpsum of 500 USD if the intern has to travel internationally to take up the internship. However, the intern must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
Swiss legislation requires interns to possess valid medical and accident insurance from a Swiss insurance company for the entire duration of their internship. Information and quotations can be found here www.comparis.ch
Interns should confirm that they are fit specifically for the duty station conditions, as certified by a medical practitioner. The Interns are responsible for receiving clearance from a medical doctor to travel and perform this internship.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered
- Attach CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Attach Cover Letter describing why you want the internship and how your skills, qualifications and experience will be relevant for the position (maximum 2 A4 pages in 12 pitch font).
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Internship
- Closing Date: 2017-06-11