Information design and data journalism intern
New York City (United States of America)
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Digital & Interactive Media Specialist, the intern will assist the Communications Section in various information design, multimedia, online data journalism related communications activities. The following provides a workplan with tasks and responsibilities for the duration of the Internship.
Duties and Responsibilities
Tasks and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Digital & Interactive Media Specialist, the intern will specifically be responsible for the following:
- Supports the research and scripting of interactive, digital and visual communications materials. This includes:
- Researching facts and figures for a range of visual information products, such as data cards, infographics, timelines, infographics, and quizzes
- Draft content for quizzes, infographics, explainers and other visual information products on women’s rights and gender equality
- Supports the production and update of visual and/or interactive content as follows:
- Produce multimedia or illustrated content (motion graphics videos, animated gifs, static graphics, interactive graphics) to visualize data, infographics and/or other information products
- Update existing data information products (e.g. charts, graphs, infographics)
- Create quizzes and interactive charts using third-party tools
- Produce language translations of information products, as needed.
- Support other tasks (as needed):
- Analyze website analytics
- Produce web analytics reports
Increased understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system
Learning different aspects of data journalism and information design in an international environment
Increased knowledge of issues related to gender equality
Meeting and networking with UN Women colleagues in other units
Work as a team member in a multicultural setting
Required Skills and Experience
- Must be enrolled in the final year of a Bachelor, or in a Masters degree programme, or be a recent graduate.
- Must have valid work permission for the United States of America.
- Fluent in English; Spanish and/or French are a plus.
- Experience in information design, multimedia production, web interactive content, and/or data journalism
- Proficient in fact-checking, analysing data and scripting content for data-related products
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Adobe Illustrator and After Effects
- Experience using third-party web technologies to create information products. e.g. Tableau, Infogram, Boombox. (preferred, but not required)
- Passion for data visualization and information design
- Curiousity for new technologies and testing new ideas