Editor/Writor National Consultant, Accra, Ghana
UNICEF is seeking the services of a committed professional and expert Writer/Editor to be engaged as a consultant. The individual will be required to edit or develop high value communications and advocacy materials including but not limited to the following: human interest stories, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, concept notes/proposals and reports that document UNICEF’s impact in the field as the need arises. NOTE: Although this contract will be awarded for 11.5 months duration, consultant will not be engaged on full time bases. Consultant will be readily available on a standby arrangement and called upon at short notice to carry out specific tasks for short durations as the need arises for which payment will be made on the basis of daily professional fee stipulated in the contract. In addition to application and Curriculum Vitae (CV), interested applicants are required to submit two samples of previous work that demonstrate their ability to develop high value communications materials e.g. human interest stories developed, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, concept notes/proposals, reports etc. Candidates should also submit five photographs that demonstrate their ability to take photographs. Please indicate your proposed professional fee at daily rate in Ghana Cedis. Only Ghanaians are eligible to apply
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Human interest stories, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, analytical reports and other high value advocacy materials/documents are a positive way of sharing UNICEF’s work in Ghana to various stakeholders – donors, governments, as well as other organisations which share the UNICEF vision or are pursuing similar ideals. These related communications materials which are based on our interventions give stakeholders a real insight into what UNICEF does and how investments in UNICEF make a difference in the lives and future of children and their families.
Justification for SSA contract
Human interest stories, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, analytical reports and other high value advocacy materials/documents are often required at short notice. The process of deploying the services of a consultant on a long term agreement quickly will be facilitated if there were contracts already in place to facilitate their delivery.
Objective and Note on Long Term Agreement Arrangement
The aim of this consultancy is to have someone who is readily available on a standby arrangement at short notice to develop high value communications and advocacy materials that document UNICEF’s impact in the field as the need arises. The materials will be used on a number of platforms including but not limited to donor reports, annual reports, UNICEF websites and our social media platforms. UNICEF’s voice is simple, optimistic, bold and contemporary. All materials must answer these questions: Who, What, When, Where, How and Why.
- Edit or develop high value communications and advocacy materials including but not limited to human interest stories, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, concept notes/proposals, reports etc.
- Consult with the communications team and programme sections to determine the overall scope of each assignment.
- Conduct a desk review to understand the UNICEF style of writing and relevant background for each assignment.
- Develop assigned high value communications and advocacy materials including but not limited to human interest stories, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, concept notes/proposals or reports as relevant.
- Take high quality photos of high resolutions if required
Expected Deliverables :
The deliverables for each assignment and scope will be discussed, clarified and agreed in writing before the onset of each assignment. They include the following menu: human interest stories, advocacy briefs, brochures, booklets, audio slide shows or video scripts, concept notes/proposals, reports etc.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced degree in Sociology, Communication studies, Journalism or a similar field.
Experience and competencies required :
Should have at least six years’ experience in developing and producing communications materials including human interest stories tailored for various platforms, advocacy booklets, brochures, concept notes, proposals, as well as the ability to shoot high quality images.
- Strong understanding of UNICEF’s development role and its position on women and children’s issues
- High responsible sense of journalistic ethics and in-depth understanding of human rights issues
- Fluent in English (spoken and written). Knowledge of another UN language, an asset. Strong knowledge of Ghana local languages is required.
- Excellent editing skills and strong communications skills (verbal and written)
- Good networking and team work skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines to deliver products
- Initiative, flexibility and patience
Competencies of Successful Candidate
UNICEF core values, Core competencies; working with people, Drive for results, Communication,
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily rate (in GHS) to undertake the terms of reference above Applications submitted without a daily rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Accra
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-06-22