Logistics and Procurement Officer
Date: June 7, 2017
Title: Logistics and Procurement Officer
Location: Dolo Ado, Ethiopia
Duration of Contract: One year
Reports to: Area Manager
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1956 that works in more than 35 countries throughout the world, including Ethiopia and Djibouti. DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities. Under its mandate, DRC focuses on emergency humanitarian response, rehabilitation and post-conflict recovery.
DRC commenced work in Ethiopia in 2009 and currently provides assistance in shel-ter, WASH, livelihoods and protection in the Gambella, Tigray and Somali regions of the country as well as in Ali-Sabieh and Obock in Djibouti. Activities implemented by DRC are funded by money raised from the Danish public and by project grants from Danida, UNHCR, ECHO, the European Commission, OCHA, BPRM and other bilateral and multi-lateral donors.
POSITION’S OVERALL OBJECTIVES
Working under the direct management of the Area Manager, the Logistics and Pro-curement Officer will be responsible for all of the daily logistics and procurement related functions in DRC's Dolo Ado FO in strict compliance with the organization's and donors' policies and procedures and strong attention to detail. The Logistics and Procurement Officer will furthermore manage one Logistics and Procurement Assis-tant, one storekeeper, guards and drivers. The Officer will act as the primary point of communication with DRC's logistics and procurement team in Addis Ababa for daily matters.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Logistics and Procurement
- With support from the Addis Ababa-based logistics and procurement team, ensure high quality day-to-day management of all logistics and procurement functions to ensure strict compliance to DRC's procurement procedures, full transparency and timely delivery of quality goods and services as requested by the programs and other support functions. This responsibility will include leading tender processes, organizing procurement committee meetings, con-ducting bid analyses and drafting relevant contracts.
- Collaborate closely with the Dolo Ado and Addis Ababa based finance and administration departments to ensure payments are made upon successful re-ceipt of procured items.
- Conduct regular market surveys of goods and services and develop a user-friendly procurement catalogue of local and regionally available items which is updated on a monthly basis.
- Provide strategic support, including projections and recommendations on lo-gistical and procurement matters to the Area Manager.
- Ensure that service sourcing is done according to rules and standards related to the respective donors and in compliance with DRC guidelines
- Provide technical support and capacity building of all the staff within pro-curement and logistics in close dialogue with the Area Manager
- On dispatch of materials to a field location, communicate to relevant staff the contents and the expected date of arrival of same.
- Participate in the vendors performance review.
- Together with program staff, manage the quality control of all items received and ensure items are properly recorded, inventoried and stored or ware-housed. In cases of distributions to beneficiary populations, the Officer will collaborate with program and monitoring and evaluation staff to ensure dis-tribution lists are collected. The aforementioned tasks will require both ad-herence to DRC and donor policies and procedures as well as the initiative to develop and improve upon systems.
- Ensure that DRC warehouses are managed according to DRC warehouse standards and records are kept for audit.
- Make periodic checks during loading/unloading operations to ensure that the quantities of the commodities carried by the trucks match with the quanti-ty recorded on the truck waybill.
- Ensure that all allocated non-food items are dispatched as per the distribution plans.
- Identify alternative warehouse facilities in times of emergency or unforeseen situations.
- Ensure scientific method of storage is followed.
- Ensure 100% security of the warehouses and the commodities.
- Manage Vehicle fleets, like ensuring the safety standard of vehicles, manage-ment of vehicle running costs, booking and assignment of transport for busi-ness purposes.
- Ensure transport, lease and any other contracts are drafted, approved and signed with respective authorized persons.
- Communicate with Administration Unit on the status of supplies and all other logistics issues for ease of dispatch and inventory.
- Documentation and Reporting
- Ensure appropriate documentation on the logistics operations (waybills, writ-ing-off)
- Ensuring the completion and compilation of monthly transport reports in-cluding the fuel consumption analysis of transport performance for Dolo Ado fleet.
Operations and security
- Check vehicles and list any repair requirements
- Check compound for any breakages, including the fence
- Check that trash and debris are being cleared
- Check that vehicles have sufficient fuel supplies (1/2 tank at all times)
- Check that there is enough food and water to hibernate if necessary for 3 days (minimum 18 bottles of water; rice; beans; tea; coffee; sugar)
- Check first aid kit and restock as required
- Check of Thurayas to make sure that they are charged and have credit
- Update backup disk from all computers every Friday
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Minimum 4 years of experience at an entry to mid- level, preferably with experience in the NGO field.
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures.
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in Somali, Amharic and English.
- Proven ability to setup successful and compliant logistics and procurement systems.
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Excellent personnel management skills, including diplomacy, tact and ne-gotiating skills.
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines un-der pressure.
- Experience living and working in cross-cultural and remote environments.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invit-ed to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no lat-er than June 18, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as ad-minister any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Dollo Ado
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Closing Date: 2017-06-18