Associate Quantity Surveyor
Malaga | Colombo
Background Information - Job-specific
General Background of Project / Assignment
The Republic of Korea, via the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), and the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) have enjoyed a strong partnership since the early 90’s. The Korea-Sri Lanka Friendship Hospital that was inaugurated in March 2013 in Matara (Southern Province of Sri Lanka) is a testament to this strong cooperation between the two countries. The hospital was constructed with a total budget of approximately USD 9 Mn.; the GoSL contributed approximately USD 2 Mn. for the infrastructure facilities while KOICA assisted with approximately USD 7 Mn. for the construction of the hospital and purchase of specialised and non-specialised equipment.
Together with the Ministry of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine (MoH), KOICA intends to initiate the next phase of the project which is to relocate the Obstetrics and Gynaecology (OB/GYN) and Neonatology departments from the Matara General Hospital to the Korea-Sri Lanka Friendship Hospital. This will require the design and construction of a new complex, currently planned to be behind the existing hospital. In addition to this, KOICA has agreed to carry out essential remodelling/ refurbishment works on the Korea-Sri Lanka Friendship Hospital.
UNOPS Sri Lanka has been a partner of choice for KOICA since 2010 and has contributed to the signing of a global Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between UNOPS and KOICA in early 2015. The MoU has resulted in notable traction at a global scale, which has paved the way for effective and efficient development cooperation between the two agencies. In light of this, KOICA has requested UNOPS Sri Lanka to support them in this project with specialised technical project management and infrastructure expertise.
The assignment of the Associate Quantity Surveyor (AQS) is to support the Project Manager by providing financial and physical progress updates regularly and assist in forecasting the cost of the project at the completion in advance.
- Taking off quantities from architectural and structural drawings submitted by the consultant;
- Review the bill of quantities submitted by the consultant and provide input to Project Manager,
- Check the accuracy of the rates of the engineer’s estimate that submitted by the consultant;
- Evaluate the bids submitted by the contractors and prepare report for the approval of Project Manager.
- Check the accuracy of valuations of contractors’ payments for Project Manager’s approval;
- Evaluate and prepare the rates for the extra activities ordered by the project Manager;
- Collect the data and prepare monthly progress report for project manager approval.
- Participate the progress review and project coordination meetings, prepare minutes of the meeting and forward to Project Manager for approval.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Provide accurate data on financial and physical progress of the project and to assist in the forecast the cost at completion.
- Secondary Education is required. National Certificate in Technology specialized in Quantity Surveying is a definite advantage.
- At least 6 years of relevant experience in the building construction field is required. A specialized diploma may substitute all or some of the required years of experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office 2010, Microsoft Access, databases and internet. Ability to draft various types of documentation in English is required.
- Knowledge and use of drafting skills with Auto-CAD software is essential
- Full working knowledge of English and one or more of the local languages is mandatory
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level:LICA Level 6
Contract duration:One year renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This post is open to Sri Lankan nationals only.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Malaga | Colombo
- Grade: LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-06-19