WASH Officer – Water Supply (National Position), Hamam Al-alil, Nineveh - Iraq
Ali Sabieh (Djibouti)
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the WASH Officer– Water Supply position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of the WASH projects in Hamam Al-Alil, Nineveh. The WASH Officer – Water Supply reports to WASH Project Coordinator. The position is based in Hamam Al-Alil.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in public health and environmental related subjects with three (3) years of experience from working as a Project Officer and Project Management in humanitarian and recover/context. The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English is necessary. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensure reporting and data collection by local implementing partner is carried out according to partnership agreement
- In close collaboration with the WASH Project Coordinator, ensure the implementation of the water trucking operations as per outlined in the NRC water trucking Standard Operating Procedures (SoPs);
- Ensure the implementation of the construction activities for communal water storage and solid waste management;
- Represent NRC in a professional manner to ensure a constructive co-operation with sector leaders and contractors;
- Professional knowledge of community engagement methodology and approaches.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills, and a solid understanding of behaviour change in emergency settings.
- Strong organizational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Ability to work independently whenever required
- Good computer application skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, database and network communications.
The post will be hired for ten (10) months contract duration with possibility of extension (subject to funds).
Salary: 5/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Hamam Al Alil, Nineveh Area Office
Due to the urgency of this position, we will review the CVs on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates who meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
For more information, please find attached the job description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Ali Sabieh (Djibouti)
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Supply Chain and Service delivery
- Emergency Aid
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2017-06-18
Multiple locations (Various)
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
St. John's (Antigua and Barbuda)
Nairobi | Kenya (Kenya)