Supply & Logistics Specialist, P-3, Kathmandu, Nepal, #86161
UNICEF has a history of more than four decades of work in Nepal and has contributed towards many of the development strides the country has taken, from the provision of basic services and immunization in the 60s and 70s; early childhood rights, education and protection in the 80s; empowering communities, more so women, to be more self-sufficient in the 90s; and an emphasis on protection during the conflict period in the 2000s. [Currently UNICEF Nepal Country Office operates eight programmes, namely; Adolescent, Child Friendly Governance, Education, Health, Nutrition, Protection, Social Policy, and Emergencies].
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, a Commitment
UNICEF has a history of more than four decades of work in Nepal and has contributed towards many of the development strides the country has taken, from the provision of basic services and immunization in the 60s and 70s; early childhood rights, education and protection in the 80s; empowering communities, more so women, to be more self-sufficient in the 90s; and an emphasis on protection during the conflict period in the 2000s. Currently UNICEF Nepal Country Office operates eight programmes, namely; Adolescent, Child Friendly Governance, Education, Health, Nutrition, Protection, Social Policy, and Emergencies.
Click to learn more about UNICEF Nepal: HERE
How can you make a difference?
You will be responsible for managing the supply chain operation of the Nepal country office including planning, procurement, contracting, customs clearance, warehousing, in country transport and distribution, as well as monitoring of supplies, services and construction works. You will also support management collaboration with programmes in defining supply interventions to meet programmatic needs and achieve results for children, and provides technical and advisory support to governments, national systems and partners on supply chain management.
Some of the key functions are as follows:
1. Effective management of the Supply Section including establishing the annual work plan of the Section with priorities, targets and performance measures; performance management of Section staff and establishing and maintaining operational capacity of the Section, in consultation with supervisor .
2. Supply Chain service delivery including appropriate planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the supply chain operations with establishment of performance indicators and assessment of fit for purpose of products and services. Ensure effective procurement of goods, contracting of services and construction works, while maintaining the highest level of integrity, ethical standards and accountability in consultation with supervisor.
3. Support supervisor in establishing an emergency supply and logistics strategy based on risk assessment analysis including a preparedness action plan for the country office in close collaboration with the functional regional chief in the Regional Office.
4. Support supervisor in establishing close collaboration with programme sections and implementing partners for smooth implementation and monitoring/evaluation of supply components including establishing accountability frameworks for Programme Cooperation Agreements (PCAs). Develop strong partnerships with government, UN agencies and bilateral counterparts for aligning supply and logistics activities.
5. Provide technical and advisory support to government/national systems including capacity development initiatives in close collaboration with programme colleagues. Support supply components of health systems strengthening as might be relevant in the country context.
6. Contribute to pilots and support roll-out of new products and services in close collaboration with Supply Division. Promote critical thinking, innovative approaches and good practices on supply chain management within and outside the organization to ensure effective and efficient supply chains for children. Run initiatives to ensure local market development where relevant in collaboration with supervisor.
To qualify as a Champion for every child you will have…
- A completed advanced university degree (Master’s) in Business Administration, Management, Economics, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Procurement, Contract/Commercial Law, International Development, Health or related social science field OR a valid professional certification in conjunction with a first-level university degree (Bachelor’s).
- *A first level university degree (Bachelor's) in a relevant technical field (as identified above), in conjunction with seven (7) years of relevant work experience in supply, logistics, procurement, contracting, administration and/or other directly-related technical field, may be taken in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience, working in an international environment in areas of, supply, logistics, procurement, contracting, administration and/or other directly-related technical field is required, with an understanding of development and humanitarian work.
- Emergency experience an advantage.
- Health supply chain management experience an advantage.
- Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish) is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Kathmandu
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-06-27