(National) Communication Consultant-Event Coordination
(National) Communication Consultant-Event Coordination
TITLE OF CONSULTANCY: (National) Communication Consultant-Event Coordination
LOCATION: New Delhi
DURATION OF CONSULTANCY: 01st August to 31st Dec 2017
CLOSING DATE: 21st June 2017
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does – in programmes, in advocacy and in operations. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
In 2017 UNICEF India country Office will conclude its five year country programme (2012 – 2017) documenting key achievements towards results for children in partnership with the Government of India, and lessons learnt. Looking towards the new UNICEF/Government of India Country Programme 2018-2022, the next few years promise to be critical years for identifying and addressing the next generation of issues to make the world fit for children, especially for girls. Some of the key issues for UNICEF include neonatal mortality, immunization, stunting and wasting, limited hygiene and sanitation, out of school children and drop outs, and harmful traditional practices including child marriage.
The Advocacy and Communication Section at UNICEF India is responsible for helping to shape UNICEF India’s external image among global stake-holders. It plays a key role in communicating UNICEF's stance on policy issues, ensuring that the rights of children and women remain a priority. The section is responsible for developing advocacy, communication and partnership strategies, as well as normative communication guidance for the organization. The Advocacy and Communication programme in the India Country Office in Delhi consists of 11 staff and the work has been divided into three specific focus areas; 1. Media/Celebrity/Youth engagement; 2. Digital engagement/Content Creation/Campaigns and 3. Partnerships and Policy Advocacy. There are also 13 Communication Specialists located throughout the country who report directly to their state office chiefs.
The new Country Programme (2018-2022) Communication, Advocacy and Partnerships Strategy Note, UNICEF Strategic Plan, UNICEF’s Global Communication and Public Advocacy Strategy and well as the global four CAUSE framework campaigns, global events and publication – reiterate and envisage a strong and critical role of public engagement, brand, advocacy and communication in supporting programmatic results for children as well as the organization’s fundraising objectives.
To meet the requirements of events, campaigns and activity coordination requirements – either ad-hoc or planned through the ministries, the UNICEF India Country Office, and or UNICEF global and regional office, the Advocacy and communication Section seeks an individual contractor for a period of upto 7.5 months in the role of Communication Assistant, with the aim of increasing the Sections’ efficiency and effectiveness.
The Communication Assistant will be engaged under an individual contractor agreement to provide assistance to UNICEF India for the day to day coordination of events, campaigns and initiatives across the three focus areas of the Advocacy and Communication Section. Support will include logistical and technical support in organizing and coordinating advocacy, communication and/or visibility events, initiatives and campaigns as well as administrative support to the section.
Under the supervision of the Chief Advocacy and Communication, the Communication Assistant will provide technical support in coordinating and supporting events, campaigns and initiatives. The contractor will be accountable for the delivery of efficient and cost effective administrative support, including developing and implementing project management systems and tools for enhanced internal coordination and communication. This also includes coordinating knowledge-sharing within the section and across sections within UNICEF India.
The Communication Assistant will be the designated person in the team to obtain and collate information from communication and programme team members in Delhi and the states, in order to maintain a comprehensive overview of activities across the organization in India. A key task will be managing the sections newly developed ‘Events Calendar’ and manage tracking tools for day to day project management in relation to events, initiatives and campaigns. The consultant will also be responsible for keeping the overall Country Office partner contact list up to date and providing administrative support when required.
3. MAJOR TASKS/DELIVERABLES:
The Communication Assistant assignment will perform the following major duties and responsibilities:
1. Coordination and support for tracking Advocacy and Communication events, campaigns and initiatives.
• Ensure that the ‘Calendar of Events’ tool is functional and accessible to A&C colleagues in Delhi and in the States
• Ensure that the ‘Calendar of events’ is updated daily, based on information received or proactively obtained from across the UNICEF sections in Delhi, including the front office and from the state offices.
• Develop and manage tracking tools for day to day project management of events, activities and campaign.
• Coordinate and oversee the requirements related to campaigns, events and initiatives in terms of administrative and logistical support in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
• Ensure timely and proactive event/campaign/initiative coordination within the sections’ three focus teams and programme teams through the implementation of a project- management system.
• Support the Advocacy and Communication (A&C) staff in Delhi and in the states with the strategic planning and documentation of activity based work plans in line with the country communication strategy
2. Coordinate UNICEF organizational wide CAUSE Framework campaigns implementation in India.
• Coordinate concept notes and implementation strategy and work plans for the four individual Cause framework priority campaigns:
Children uprooted campaign;
ECD - Early Moments Matter campaign (including Father’s and Mother’s day);
Ending Violence against children campaign;
Child Survival and health campaign.
• Draft written products highlighting cross organizational work on advocacy, public engagement, fundraising, brand and communications work in line with the individual Cause campaigns and how they mutually reinforce the work for children in India.
• Coordinate timely concept notes, strategy outline, work plan and implementation of global events, relevant to India, with special focus on Children’s Day.
• Coordinate timely concept notes, work plan and implementation of key global publications, relevant to India, with special focus on State of the World’s Children and Narrowing the Gaps Report.
• Draft written products highlighting lessons learnt and recommendations based on implementation of global events and the use of global, regional and national report launches and launch events and activities.
3. Assistance with campaigns, events, communication material creation, meeting logistics and schedules
• Assist advocacy team in the organization and implementation of communication, advocacy and visibility activities and special events while working in partnership with partner organizations, including the Government of India, corporates, embassies, youth groups, faith-based organizations, sport entities, celebrities etc
• Ensure through timely communication that effective working relations are maintained with other sections, especially front office, C4D, PPE and RM&P as well as with event agencies and other service providers.
• Assists with administrative and logistic support in relation to the development, promotion and distribution of key initiatives including World Children’s Day, State of the World’s Children Report launch, communication initiatives around the value of the girl, Cause framework campaigns on Child survival and health, Ending violence, children uprooted and Early Childhood Development and other initiatives, events and campaign as decided upon.
• Support the A&C colleagues in ensuring that all documents and visibility, communication and advocacy assets produced or purchased by UNICEF India are accompanied by detailed and pertinent distribution list, and follow up its delivery.
• Assist in preparing communication materials for advocacy events according to audience and relevant for UNICEF.
• Assist the programme assistant and A&C staff in monitoring the annual budget of the communication section and financial expenditures related to events, initiatives and campaigns
4. Administrative support for guidelines, data collection and contact database
• Maintaining the overall contact data base/lists on A&C and front office stakeholder and partners. Coordinate with programme assistants for routine updates of the programme contact database, which feeds in the overall UNICEF India contact list databased, under the consultant’s management. Ensure that the office wide data base is up to date, functional and accessible.
• Provides practical input on implementation of administrative guidelines, in close coordination with the Chief of Section and operations team.
• Coordinate the compilation of briefing notes, background materials and print outs for internal and external meetings.
• Assist the partnership section in data collection and analysis in line with KPIs related to events, campaigns and initiatives as outlined in the communication strategy
5. General administrative support
• Prepare minutes of section meetings and meetings and draft agendas and correspondence in relation to event, campaign and initiative coordination and support follow up on action points.
• Ensure budget preparation and monitoring are properly administered in the area of communication management and services.
• Providing secretarial support to the Chief of Section, including through coordinating the Chief’s daily schedules and appointments, as well as providing logistical support, and preparation of correspondence, files and documents as required by the Chief as per the daily schedule.
• Assist in the administrative processes for the communication section including preparation of terms of reference, low value contracts, procurement requests, correspondence
• Support organization and management of files and correspondence.
• Implement the tasks in the country communication work plan and strategy as assigned by Chief Advocacy and Communications.
• Any other assigned communication support responsibilities and services are effectively carried out and delivered.
6. KEY DELIVERABLES
• Monthly reports which highlight the following:
Up to date Events Calendar;
Tracking and monitoring tools developed and managed;
Monthly updates of the contact lists;
Minutes of important meetings and process documents from key events;
Monthly reports from engagement with states and sections in terms of their campaigns, events and initiatives;
Monthly reports on budgets;
Manage a service contract log related to overall substantive communication, advocacy and partnership requests addressed to the section.
Chief, Advocacy and Communication section
8. PAYMENT TERMS:
• Payment is linked to receipt and satisfactory acceptance of deliverables.
• Travel expenses will be reimbursed at actuals based on receipt of invoices/reports.
• Per Diem will be reimbursed at UNICEF consultant rates.
9. QUALIFICATION, SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• This assignment requires a professional with experience of having worked on logistics and administrative support to communication or to a programme. The person must have a track record of managing events, activities and logistics, preferably for issue based campaigns and events.
• Three years of progressively responsible administrative or coordination work experience is required.
• Experience in working with UN organizations, NGOs, CBOs or media agencies or advertisement, PR or events organizations would be an advantage.
• University degree in communication, management, marketing, public relations, media or related field.
• Proven fluency in English, written and spoken is a fundament requirement. Knowledge of another UN working language and or knowledge of one of the local languages is an asset.
• Flexible, proactive, takes initiative, and works well under time pressure and able to work independently and effectively in a team.
• One year work experience in a professional capacity in Communications, Branding, Marketing or Public Relations will be an advantage.
• Experience working in a multi-cultural environment
• Evidence of high levels of quality and productivity
• Ability to operate PC computer systems and applications.
• Duration: Contract duration will until 31 December 2017. Please note that individual contractors are not paid for UN holidays, nor for weekends or holidays.
Please submit your online application by 21st June 2017
HOW TO APPLY: Your online application should contain three separate attachments:
i. A Cover letter explaining the motivation for applying and also explaining how the qualifications and skill-set of the candidate are suitable for this position (to be uploaded online)
ii. Curriculum Vitae (CV) along with the P11 Form which could be downloaded from our website( http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_53129.html ) (to be uploaded online)
iii. Two samples of written work relevant to this assignment. The samples must have been authored by the candidate independently(to be uploaded online under tab ‘Please upload writing samples here’)
iv. A financial proposal indicating deliverable-based professional fee as per template attached below. Please do not forget to specify your name in the file while saving. (to be uploaded online under tab ‘Please upload Financial Samples here’)
Financial Bid AC for Communication Coordination contractor for AC.doc
Without the working samples and filled in financial proposal template your application will be Incomplete
The selection will be on the basis of technical evaluation & financial offer in the ratio of 80:20. The criteria for technical evaluation will be as follows:
• Cover letter indicating motivation and suitability for the post - (Min 7/ Max 10)
• Relevant qualifications – (Min 7 /Max 10)
• Samples of written work – (Min 14 / Max 20)
• Interview with candidates scoring the minimum and more against each criteria and overall 28 or more against above criteria – (Min 28 /Max 40)
Total technical score – 80. Minimum overall qualifying score is 56. Only those candidates who score the minimum against each criteria and meet the overall minimum qualifying marks of 56 will be considered technically responsive and the financials will be opened.
• Any attempt to unduly influence UNICEF’s selection process will lead to automatic disqualification of the applicant.
• Joint applications of two or more individuals are not accepted.
• Please note, UNICEF does not charge any fee during any stage of the process.
For any clarifications, please contact:
Supply & Procurement Section
73, Lodi Estate, New Delhi 110003
Telephone # +91-11-24606520(Direct)
Fax # +91-11-24391410; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.