Re advertisement:UN Women: Country Representative
*The candidates who have previously applied to this position need not reapply
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the general direction and guidance of the Regional Director, Arab States, the UN Women Representative is responsible for leading and managing the Egypt Country Office (CO) portfolio and for translating the UN Women's Strategic Plan (SP) in line with regional and national priorities, into development initiatives and results by developing, implementing and managing programs and projects for each country under the Egypt CO; and developing effective partnerships with Government counterparts, UN system agencies and organizations, civil society organizations, and with bilateral and non-traditional donors in order to promote inter-agency partnerships, support for UN reform, and mobilization of visibility and resources to advance gender equality and women's empowerment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide strategic country programme planning and development:
- Identify development planning and programme needs, opportunities and approaches to strengthen UN Women country presence and relevance;
- Lead the design, planning, formulation, preparation and development of the Country Strategic Note;
- Participate in the region’s UN Women programme strategy and provide advice to the Executive Director, Regional Director and Senior Management on the strategy, direction and planning of programmes and projects;
- Manage and ensure the quality of results-based and rights-based programming through the formulation of programme goals and objectives, the development of strategies and implementation of frameworks in line with corporate guidelines and consistent with corporate policies and strategies;
- Monitor the use of results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
Lead the management of the Egypt Country Office:
- Lead the office in the delivery of operational goals;
- Lead the preparation, submission of the Annual Workplan and budget and oversee the implementation, including providing direction, guidance and technical support;
- Oversee and approve programme work plans and monitor the overall progress and compliance of the Egypt CO;
- Approve the optimum and appropriate allocation and use of resources;
- Lead and manage the preparation of UN Women mandated country reports;
- Manage the CO collaboration with audit review and timely response to audit reports;
- Supervise the development and implementation on CO communication plans, based on UN Women’s communication strategy;
- Manage the performance of staff under his/her supervision; provide managerial direction, guidance and leadership to staff and provide performance feedback and coaching to staff under supervision;
- Maintain and update CO security strategy, plan, and measures to ensure full compliance with UN security policies, procedures and requirements.
Participate in UN system coordination:
- Serve as member of the UN Country Team and support UNCT programming and advocacy to ensure gender equality and women’s empowerment issues are fully integrated into UN programming processes, including the Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA) and UNDAF;
- Provide leadership and guidance to the UNCT in supporting enhanced response to national partners in advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment and UN reform;
- Support the coordination and promotion of accountability with the UN Resident Coordinator System to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment and UN reform;
- Advise the UNCT on the implementation of key policy commitments to gender and women’s rights;
- Partner with RC and UN system partners to strengthen UN system interagency coherence, collaboration, cooperation resource mobilization, advocacy, common services, and operations;
- Actively seek out participation of UN Women in UN system thematic and other working groups to establish effective networks and keep abreast of ongoing debates and thinking on development;
- Facilitate joint programming and promote UN competencies to advance gender equality and women’s human rights.
Represent UN Women and lead advocacy strategies:
- Represent UN Women in intergovernmental forums, public information/relations events and key meetings, participate in policy dialogue; discuss policy initiatives, report on progress achieved and/or present policy papers/ideas;
- Meet with high level and senior government officials as well as multi-lateral, bi-lateral agencies and NGOs;
- Participate in regional, country and other critical meetings and events to evaluate the impact and efficacy of UN Women policies and programmes and provide input in strategic discussions;
- Lead and support advocacy for gender equality and women’s empowerment to ensure that UN support towards realization of the national plans and priorities are done in a gender responsive manner, and within agreed international frameworks that promote and protect gender equality.
Create strategic partnerships and lead resource mobilization strategies:
- Lead the conceptualization, design and implementation of CO resource mobilization strategies;
- Establish and maintain relations with government, partners, stakeholders and donors to achieve active collaboration, cooperation and alliances on programme development and implementation and resource mobilization;
- Maximize partnership opportunities to mobilize resources;
- Review donor reports for quality assurance and compliance;
- Establish a reporting accountability framework to ensure that donors are duly informed on a timely basis;
- Negotiate and/or approve cost-sharing agreements with donors.
Knowledge management, innovation and capacity building:
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices in Egypt CO programming and operations to maximize efficiency and achieve concrete and sustainable results;
- Approve the implementation of innovation and best practices in the Egypt CO to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy in programming and operations;
- Promote learning and development by providing opportunities for training and capacity guiding to enhance the competencies/productivity of staff members;
- Lead the production of knowledge products.
Key Performance Indicators:
The successful performance of the UN Women Representative of the key functions directly result in effective and strategic development, implementation and management of high quality CO programs and projects and achievement of quality results which in turn directly impact on the credibility and image of UN Women as an effective and efficient partner and as the leading knowledge-based technical and advocacy organization for gender equality and the empowerment of women.
- Timely and quality implementation of the Country Strategic Note and AWP;
- Timely submission of UN Women Country Reports and responses to audits;
- Security Plans are in place and up to date;
- UN Women is seen as a reliable and trustworthy partner, providing substantial inputs to progress UN women’s mandate;
- Timely development and implementation of CO resource mobilization strategy;
- Timely and quality donor reporting;
- Office produces quality knowledge products;
- Performance of staff.
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff;
- Demonstrating an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
Ethics and Values:
- Demonstrate and promote ethics and integrity by creating organizational precedents.
- Build support for the organization and ensure political acumen.
Development and Innovation:
- Support staff competence development, and contribute to an environment of creativity and innovation.
Work in teams:
- Build and promote effective teams;
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Communication and Information Sharing:
- Create and promote an environment for open and effective communication.
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
- Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others.
- Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Share knowledge across the organization and build a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making:
- Ensure fair and transparent decision making processes and manage risk.
- Ability to manage and empower people to work effectively together in reaching results;
- Outstanding leadership skills;
- Substantive knowledge of programme management and results-based management;
- Outstanding negotiation, advocacy and interpersonal skills;
- Expertise in writing coherent and convincing documents;
- Outstanding communications and public speaking skills;
- Excellent planning, goal-setting and prioritization skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies;
- Ability to go beyond established procedures and practices, introduce new approaches and strategic innovations;
- Strong knowledge of women’s empowerment and gender equality in the country;
- Strong knowledge of UN system;
- Outstanding resource mobilization skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Master's degree or equivalent in development related disciplines, economics or public policy or other social science fields.
- A minimum of 10 years of extensive development experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in aid development cooperation, some of which in gender and women’s issues programming, at the international level, preferably in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs or UN Mission;
- Field based experience working with multi-cultural teams;
- Experience in leading a team.
- Written and oral proficiency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language will be an asset.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://www.unwomen.org/about-us/employment
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.