Kiev | Kiev
Background Information - UNOPS
NOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
In April 2017, UNOPS in close cooperation with the Sweden Police launched EU-funded project “Support to Police Reform in Ukraine” aiming at strengthening community policing in mid-sized towns in the Kyiv, Kharkiv and Lviv regions and support the reform of public order policing in Ukraine. The project includes refurbishment of 20 district police stations/hubs to enable the National Police to fulfill their new roles and to encourage citizens to feel welcome in the police stations and interact with police officers.
Under the general supervision of the Senior Engineer, the intern duties include supporting the following activities:
- Support the engineering team in designing, checking and revising designs of up to 20 police stations, that are to be renovated in compliance with Ukrainian national legislation as well as UNOPS’ Design Planning Manual;
- Support in conducting of technical assessments for facilities, included in the project;
- Assist the project team in administrative issues, including preparation of the draft reports related to renovations of the police stations and engineering works;
- Assist the project team with any other tasks as assigned by the Senior Engineer
2. Training components and learning elements
As a member of the Project team, the intern will:
- Participate in available in-house training opportunities as applicable;
- Learn the structure, mechanisms, policies and practice areas of UNOPS;
- Participate in dedicated training and UNOPS online learning tools;
- Participate in working groups.
3. Participation in missions or training courses
The duties are Kiev-based. Missions outside Kiev region are not foreseen but are possible as allowed by UNOPS policies, if such support is required for assessment work.
4. Additional comments
The internship is offered at part-time, allowing for flexibility with studies. The intern will work in UNOPS office in Kiev from Monday to Friday 50% part-time.
The intern must at the time of application be enrolled in the final academic year of a second university degree program or higher at the Civil Engineer (Master’s or Ph.D.’s) or has graduated with a university degree in the Civil Engineer (minimum Master’s level) within three years of graduation.
Fluency in English, Russian and Ukrainian language is required.
- Microsoft Office (including MS Word and Excel);
- Microsoft Project.
An experience of working in an engineering environment will be an advantage.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Candidates should have:
- ability to work and thrive in a team environment,
- strong problem-solving skills, ability to self-motivate and work productively,
- possess a working knowledge of Word and Excel, and excellent oral and written communication skills,
- attention to details, the ability to multi-task performance, excellent communication skills,
- ability to focus on the result, readiness to accept feedback for achievement the best results,
- commitment to UNOPS’ mission, vision, and values, including cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- ability to read construction drawings (essential),
- knowledge of AutoCAD / Civil 3D (preferred),
Contract type, level and duration - Internship
Contract level: N/A
Contract duration: 6 months
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend from UNOPS provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. They must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel and necessary visa arrangements.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible for abiding by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY UKRAINIAN NATIONALS OR THOSE WITH THE RIGHT TO LIVE AND WORK IN UKRAINE ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE A LETTER OF MOTIVATION WITH THEIR APPLICATION.