CFA 2017/25 (P) - Communications Officer (UG) - Yangon, Myanmar
Call for Applications
Position Title :Communications Officer
Duty Station :Yangon, Myanmar Classification Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 28 June 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and direct supervision of the Programme Manager (Migration Governance) of IOM Myanmar, the successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, implementing and reporting of the communications and knowledge management of the IOM migration projects funded by the Livelihoods and Food Security Trust (LIFT). S/he will be directly involved in initiating and advancing communications and knowledge building and management initiatives for the migration projects with both traditional and non-traditional stakeholders as the local ownership and sustainability are at the center of actions of the IOM projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Initiate development of the project specific information and knowledge sharing materials on key issues covered by the projects including brochures, posters, press kits, fact sheets, audio/video productions etc. for the project partners and various audiences. 2. Organize the design, development and implementation of information campaigns and knowledge sharing events on promoting positive linkages between migration and development. Implement the evaluation of these campaigns and the development of post-campaign reports. 3. Initiate and implement the communication and advocacy strategy of the projects including coordinating synergies among the projects for improved impact. Assist the programme and project managers in ensuring appropriate visibility of the project donors. Page 1 / 34. Generate knowledge on migration using existing datasets and compile them in a style that effectively communicates to the targeted audiences.
5. Draft news releases, newsletters or other information and knowledge management publications, and assist with the distribution of these outputs.
6. Participate in the design and printing process of the various publications or knowledge management products developed under the projects, including media products, research and publications. Collaborate in developing press and social media packages in accordance with the organizational publication rules.
7. Prepare and contribute to implementing the project's capacity building initiatives as necessary throughout the life of the projects especially on communications and knowledge management. 8. Identify, assess, document and share best practices, lessons learned and knowledge gained from the project implementation.
9. Ensure that the information about the projects are updated on the IOM site and ensure timely coordination of communications with donor and national stakeholders.
10. Plan, prepare and assist in the implementation of knowledge sharing and learning events, e.g. conferences, workshops and seminars and communicate effectively with donors and partners.
11. Maintain and update the existing mail and email lists of target audiences, and regularly provide information through those channels.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Development Communications, Journalism, International Relations, Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the field of public communication, knowledge management, migration and development;
• Proven experience in writing, editing and research is an advantage;
• Excellent writing skills including an ability to nuance and adapt messages to culturally diverse audiences;
• Working knowledge of relevant computer software including Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. Working knowledge of STATA and SPSS is an advantage.
• Proven skills in managing social media campaigns, and web and knowledge management; • Proven skills in external communications and liaison and mobilization work with media and civil society;
• Knowledge in the field of labour migration, human mobility, livelihood development, and a demonstrated commitment to women's empowerment and human rights;
• Proven ability to develop training materials, knowledge development products and facilitate training and knowledge sharing and learning events.
Fluency in English is required.
Page 2 / 3Desirable Competencies:
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
• Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this Call for Application (CFA) is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 28 June 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 15.06.2017 to 28.06.2017
Requisition: CFA 2017/25 (P) - Communications Officer (UG) - Yangon, Myanmar (55088870) Released Posting: Posting NC55088871 (55088871) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Yangon
- Grade: UG
- Closing Date: 2017-06-28