Teacher - National Contract
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
Under the day-to-day supervision of the Education Officer and with the technical guidance from Education Adviser, the Teacher will be responsible for implementation of the Education programme for migrant and refugee children, youth and adults accommodated in emergency reception site(s) in Attica region. The Teacher will ensure that all education activities are high quality, age appropriate and in line with children, youth needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
- Implement non-formal education activities (English and/or Greek language, basic numeracy, literacy) for school age children (7 to 15), adolescents and youth (16-18) and adults
- Plan and adopt educational activities based on age, knowledge and individual needs of children, adolescents/youth and adults
- Form educational groups and develop schedule making sure is in line with needs of site population, children, youth, and in agreement with the relevant authorities and site management
- Ensure that data (attendance lists) is accurately collected on a weekly and monthly basis divided by age and gender
- Plan and coordinate distribution of teaching and learning material including stationers and school kits
- Provide information and advise beneficiaries on existing education program
- Contribute to the continuous advocacy for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units and promoting the right to education for all children
- At least three years of experience in education and teaching. Prior teaching experience with non-Greek speaking children, adolescents/youth and adults is an asset.
- University degree in education or related field required
- Excellent verbal and written English and Greek skills are required.
- Effective classroom management skills
- Previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills, working with different groups, partners and nationalities
- Ability to work with children with special needs and different language
- Strong commitment to teamwork, flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attica (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 30th of June 2017.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.