Knowledge Management System Consultant
Copenhagen | Copenhagen
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - WEC
Water and Energy Cluster
Based in Copenhagen, the UNOPS Water and Energy Cluster provides specialized project management services to partners such as the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Global Environment Facility (GEF), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the World Bank. Together with partners, the cluster executes projects that support sustainable development by:
- promoting international cooperation to prevent and reverse environmental degradation of international water systems
- enhancing the resilience of communities and eco-systems to climate change
- lowering emissions by bridging renewable energy solutions
- developing Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions to strengthen climate-resilient development
Background Information - Job-specific
The CTCN promotes the accelerated transfer of environmentally sound technologies for low carbon and climate resilient development at the request of developing countries. The Centre provides tailored technology solutions, capacity building and advice on policy, legal and regulatory frameworks. In order to facilitate technology transfer, the CTCN hosts a web-based knowledge management system (KMS) that aims to provide access to climate technology information, tools, services and training across sectoral areas such as agriculture, energy, industry, water, etc. In order to maintain the KMS and ensure its continuous value to users, a consultant is sought to provide support for the continuous development and updating of the CTCN’s content across the KMS, under the supervision of the Knowledge and Communications Manager. The consultant will also help to coordinate CTCN’s knowledge sharing, so that the initiative’s know-how, information and experience is shared inside and outside the organization with clients, partners, and stakeholders.
Objectives, output expectations and performance indicators
Provide assistance in drafting and coordinating content inputs, and proactively suggest areas for further content development
The CTCN’s internet site, www.ctc-n.org, is kept up to date and provides interesting, valuable content for intended users.
Conduct outreach with current and potential content providers in order to generate greater visibility of useful information and further value to CTCN audiences.
Assist in event planning, knowledge sharing communications and analytics.
Greater awareness of CTCN knowledge sharing services is attained; relevant knowledge is shared with key clients; and user statistics inform further development of the website.
Assist in outreach and project implementation in regard to CTCN’s gender and technology activities and relationships.
The CTCN interacts regularly with key gender constituencies, potential and current partners and demonstrates progress toward achieving its gender mainstreaming plan.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
Under the guidance of the Knowledge and Communications Manager, and working with a cross-departmental, multi-country team, provide assistance with the following:
- Draft web content including CTCN technical assistance summaries and technology descriptions.
- Together with communications staff, assist in the development and implementation of a thematic content plan intended to provide a rotating thematic focus for ctc-n.org. This includes but is not limited to highlighting specific technical assistance projects, Network members, reports, webinars and guest editorials;
- Assist in guiding the work of CTCN Secondees as it pertains to the KMS;
- Update technology taxonomy as needed;
- Conduct regular review of web pages to ensure content is up to date and liaise with relevant CTCN staff to request inputs;
- Identify areas where further information is needed and research potential sources of such information; and
- Proactively identify areas for further content development.
- Serve as the focal point with Consortium and Network members in terms of KMS collaboration, including gathering inputs and onboarding information resources;
- Conduct outreach to potential and existing knowledge partners in order to source required technology information;
- Act as CTCN focal point for the Climate Knowledge Brokers (CKB) Group.
Other KMS-related work:
- Organization of knowledge sharing events;
- Participate in CTCN monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of KMS user analytics.
- Draft KMS-related presentation slides and KMS content inputs for use in CTCN reports;
- Other KMS-related work and/or coordination as requested.
Under the guidance of the Gender Focal Point, assist with the following tasks:
- Conduct outreach to organizations which have strong experience in gender and technology issues;
- Identify opportunities to partner on relevant content, capacity building and event development;
- Coordination of gender partnerships and projects;
- Oversight of CTCN gender mainstreaming as per agreed upon plan.
Education: Required Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in environmental engineering or other relevant field.
- Required 1 years’ experience related to environmental, engineering or sustainability content in research and writing for the web, newsletters, and thematic journals; advocacy/campaign development; event coordination and/or developing knowledge sharing programs.
- Demonstrated field study experience, particularly in developing countries is an asset
- Familiarity with Drupal content management and Pool Party software desired.
Full fluency in English is required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: ICA1 ICS8
Contract duration: 1 year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Copenhagen | Copenhagen
- Grade: IICA-1, International Individual Contractors Agreement
- Education and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-06-23