DANISH REFUGEE COUNCIL INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF
WASH COORDINATOR (2 POSITIONS) – WEST NILE REGION
DRC is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
In Uganda, DRC assists the refugees from neighboring countries mainly DR Congo and South Sudan in the South West, West and West Nile region of the country. DRC's assistance to refugees have been both emergency assistance to address the short term influxes from the neighboring countries as well as to address the sustainable solutions for the refugees. DRC is also the lead of a Consortium (Save the Children, ZOA, and CEFORD) for the implementation of an EU Trust Fund project in Adjumani, Kiryandongo and Rhino camp .
The WASH Coordinator will take lead in daily implementation of WASH activities in the assigned location. This will include technical support to the WASH teams, supervision, daily decision making and regular updates to the WASH Manager on challenges and program milestones.
Coordination and representation
- Develop relationship with a range of Key stakeholders including OPM, UN Agencies, Local Governments and Private Sector.
- Representation of DRC and active participation in the local WASH Sector and relevant sub‐sectors/working groups.
- Maintain/establish rapport with government authorities, UN agencies, international and local NGOs as required.
- Ensure coordination and close working environment with other sectors of DRC.
- Coordinate planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WASH related projects in West Nile.
- Work in active coordination with other sectors in Rhino Camp and similar activities in West Nile-if required.
- Ensure regular WASH sector staff meetings in Arua (Rhino Camp).
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting in Arua and other locations of West Nile when needed.
Project development, implementation and reporting
- Provide leadership to the WASH Sector in Rhino Camp.
- Responsible for the development of concept notes, project plans, budgets and funding proposals
- Undertake gap analysis in the areas of WASH and contribute in the development of new thematic areas according to the analysis.
- Responsible for the efficient and effective program implementation of all WASH projects within the given timeframe, budget and quality standards.
- Contribute to the development of DRC strategy in areas of WASH.
- Participate and ensure quality and technical standards of the capacity building trainings, activities at all levels.
- Develop a monitoring scheme, which include performance and impact indicators.
- Develop data base system and data collection tools and ensure quality data collection, data entry and undertake analysis and produce reports.
- Ensure that a common strategy, approach and tools are developed for all WASH components in West Nile.
- Contribute to the development of advocacy points based on assessment of situations and risks.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, donor and other reports in the areas of WASH
Staff development and management
- Supervise WASH officers in Rhino Camp and provide technical follow up and support to WASH officers in West Nile-when required.
- Develop staff performance measurement and targets and appraise them based on the set targets and contribute to technical appraisal of WASH officers in Rhino Camp.
- Conduct training needs assessments of all WASH staff and make recommendations.
- Conduct periodic field visits to support field staffs through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
- Responsible for grants management of all WASH projects in Arua-Rhino Camp and projects with shared funding in West Nile
- Monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups of Rhino Camp projects and shared funding projects in West Nile.
- Liaise with DRC Administration, Logistics, Finance departments and the Program/Project Manager/Head of Office to ensure smooth operation of the field offices.
- In collaboration with the Program/Project Manager, review the activity and related financial reports.
- Ensure timely procurements for the sector according to the procurement plan.
- Ensure procurements for the sector are done within acceptable price, quality and technical qualities for the deliveries.
The WASH Coordinator reports to the WASH Manager.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Environment Health Science, Water Engineering or WASH related course from recognized institution with more than 5 years work experience in a similar role Or Masters of Science with at least 3 years of work experience in a similar role.
- Documented skills in Project Planning and Management is an added advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of WASH national and international standards.
- Strong competence in English literacy.
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, and statistical packages).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work in emergency and conflict areas.
- Proven experience in effective coordination and creating working relations with the other team members and other stakeholders.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.
Conditions for the positions
• The Position is contract based.
• The position is based in Kampala with possible Field visits depending on the needs.
• Remuneration and benefits are as per DRC Uganda standard salary scale and benefit package.
Expected start date: Immediately.
Application and CV
Applications should be in English and include the following:
1. A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
2. Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
We only accept online applications. Go to www.drc.dk > About DRC > Vacancies > Current Vacancies and find the job on the list and press the apply button.
The deadline for submission of applications is the 30th June 2017.
We thank applicants for their interest in the position however; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have problems uploading your application, please contact email@example.com.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Gaza
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-06-30