VN 2017/136 (P) - Programme Coordinator (Mixed Migration) (P3) - Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position Title Programme Coordinator (Mixed Migration)
Duty Station :Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Classification Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One Year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 02 July 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador,
Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa Context:
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and Representative to the AU ( African Union), UNECA (United Nations Economic Commission for Africa) and IGAD (Inter Governmental Agency for Development) and in coordination with the Head of Programmes of the International Organization for Migration- Special Liaison Office, Addis Ababa the successful candidate will manage and coordinate the implementation of project activities of Mixed Migration projects in East and Horn of Africa Region, collectively known as the "Mixed Migration Programme" and develop its strategy and direction.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Coordinate IOM's Mixed Migration Programme and ensure that the project manager is implementing the activities stipulated in the project documents in a timely manner. 2. Anticipate constraints to project implementation and work out solutions with the project manager and project officers. Liaise closely with other IOM regional programmes on the same. 3. Coordinate closely with the Mixed Migration Programme Project Officers on the strategy and approach of mixed migration programmes to ensure harmonious implementation of the projects within the areas of coverage. Ensure regional approach within the region by organizing regional Page 1 / 4meetings.
4. Represent IOM in the Mixed Migration Task Force (MMTF) cluster meetings such as protection and other related agencies as well as in donor meetings. 5. Participate in field-based MMTF (Mixed Migration Task Force) meetings and activities, analyse data collected by MMTF Coordinator and missions, guide field activities based on data/recommendations; oversee the organization of the MMTF Regional Conference. 6. Develop and maintain necessary relationships with local authorities, United Nations (UN) agencies, national and international institutions, non-governmental organizations, voluntary agencies, required to promote IOM and its transitional activities, and to facilitate the implementation of ongoing activities. Ensure use of all IOM partnership and mixed migration tools, and update and disseminate regularly with lessons and input from the field and partners. 7. Highlight mixed migration issues on UN forums and funding mechanisms such as the Consolidated Appeals Process (CAP), Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) and other institutions. Coordinate with regional institutions such as the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), European Union (EU), Arab League and other donor forum. 8. Monitor and ensure that budgets and work plans are implemented as planned in coordination with the Monitoring Officer and the Resource Management Officer. Provide feedback on areas related to gaps and improvement in the Migration Management programme implementation and management.
9. Coordinate technical support requirements with the Regional Programme Officer for Technical Cooperation and other relevant units in IOM.
10. Develop new programmes and activities, especially in areas were IOM technical expertise would improve the humanitarian response (Internally Displaced Persons, Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration and Emergency Response) in cooperation with the Interagency Standing Committee members (IASC), relevant authorities and public/private entities in relation to both internal and international migration. Work closely with donors agencies to identify opportunities for partnership and cooperation and develop related fund-raising strategies.
11. Advise International Organization for Migration- Special Liaison Office, Addis Ababa, about developments in the field of migration and related governmental policies affecting the work of the Organization.
12. Prepare regular and special reports covering IOM's activities, prepare briefings and background information requested by the Government, donor (s) and other entities. Analyse and report on information regarding migration as well as information related to the activities of regional organizations having a presence and involved in migration issues. 13. Support Headquarters units in preparedness and response to migration emergency and recovery strategies while maintaining credible image of IOM vis-a-vis the local authorities and other partners in the country.
14. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of Page 2 / 4relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Relevant management, operational and field experience;
• Experience in coordinating, implementing mixed migration programmes in various countries
covering the following components: awareness raising, livelihood, technical cooperation, capacity building and border management, and counter human trafficking among others is required;
• Experience writing project documents, proposals, and reports, managing and monitoring programme budget required.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of other UN Official language and/or languages widely spoken in the East and Horn of Africa is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Page 3 / 4How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 02 July 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 19.06.2017 to 02.07.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/136 (P) - Programme Coordinator(MixedMigration)(P3)-AddisAbaba,Ethiopia (55092330) Released
Posting: Posting NC55092354 (55092354) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-07-02