Electrical Engineer, Multiple positions
Multiple locations | Yemen
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, so as to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The current conflict in Yemen has resulted in wide-spread humanitarian crisis, and has left 80 per cent of the population (21.1 million people) in need of assistance . Also the conflict has caused widespread damage to Infrastructure all over Yemen. Recovery and reconstruction is crucial for the people of Yemen, its neighbors, and the global security.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
The Electrical Site Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Senior Engineer and under the overall guidance of the Project Manager. She/ he will be required to undertake the following tasks:
a- Technical tasks:
- Review electrical systems designs for Infrastructure projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including Identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions.
- Design & Analyze electrical engineering systems for projects designed in-house as requested utilizing research, development, relevant codes and good engineering practices.
- Prepare electrical drawings including plans, sections, elevations, details and other layouts as needed.
- Produce Auto CAD drawings according to stipulations. And ensure high quality drawings that are accurate and that meet set deadlines.
- Review the electrical bill of quantities in terms of accuracy and content.
- Site supervision and giving direction to contractors on all related electrical issues.
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificate.
- Approve electrical submittals and advice on suitable alterations.
- Prepare estimates and prices for new project development works.
- Follow contractors obligations of the contractors on site including inspections, testing, shop drawings review, quantity surveying.
b- Administrative tasks:
- Manage electrical engineering related material archiving.
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to electrical works.
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
· Advanced degree in a relevant field is required. A first-level university degree with additional two years of relevant combination of academic qualifications and extensive experience in construction may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
· At least 2 years of experience in electrical systems design and construction for medium to large scale building construction projects in Yemen.
· Good knowledge in power systems, lighting systems, fire alarm systems, access control systems, industrial equipment control and telecommunication systems
· At least 2 years of comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher).
· Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration: One year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Multiple locations | Yemen
- Grade: LICA-8, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Closing Date: 2017-08-02