Architect, Multiple positions
Multiple locations | Yemen
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies and bilateral donors and in close coordination with the Government and national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development and technical management, and provides financial, human resources and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, so as to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients.
The current conflict in Yemen has resulted in wide-spread humanitarian crisis, and has left 80 per cent of the population (21.1 million people) in need of assistance . Also the conflict has caused widespread damage to Infrastructure all over Yemen. Recovery and reconstruction is crucial for the people of Yemen, its neighbors, and the global security.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.UNOPS is committed to achieving a truly diverse workforce.
Following overall guidance from the Project Manager, and in close coordination with the Senior Project Engineer, the Architect will undertake the following tasks:
- Timely delivery of high quality architectural design / documentation in compliance with all relevant design codes and standards;
- Conceive, design, plan and construct models for new or modified structures, responsible for using computer equipment to lay out diagrams. Coordinate and determine quantities and types of materials to be used in the constructions;
- In close consultation with the CTA and Project Engineer, lead consultations with KRG Project Coordination Unit [PCU];
- In addition to preliminary conceptual plans, prepare detailed designs, floor plans, elevations, dimensions, sections and all installations, including heating, ventilation, air-conditioning, plumbing lay out and electrical wiring), all consistent with KRG PCU requirements and expectations;
- Undertake site visits/assessments of the project’s elements, recommended by KRG PCU for constructions and rehabilitations;
- Plan and oversee all architectural aspects of construction activities, responsible for final specifications and approval of ordered materials;
- Provide full technical specifications and instructions accompanied by working drawings;
- Ensure designs offer buildings which are aesthetically pleasing as well as safe, sound and functional and according to the national building code;
- Create and maintain engineering architecture documents including end-to-end design scenarios;
- Prepare Post Design Advice (PDA) in response to queries or issues arising during the construction phase. Undertake field visits as required to ensure satisfactory resolution of problems / issues on site;
- Implement the requirements of UNOPS Quality Assurance plan and ensure all architectural designs are thoroughly documented and filed for future reference;
- Assist the CTA and Project Engineer in the preparation of regular design progress reports, budgeting and forecasting as required;
- Be prepared to monitor the quantities during construction and prepare variation orders as applicable;
- Perform all other duties and tasks as requested by the CTA, specifically on regarding the preparation of As-Built Drawings, Maintenance Manuals, Water and Sanitary CADD drawings, and electrical drawings.
- Delivery of full technical designs and associated documentation in accordance with the work-plan;
- Monthly architectural report submitted monthly to the CTA.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
• Advanced degree in economics, development studies, social sciences, public administration, business management or other relevant field is required; A first-level university degree with additional two years of relevant combination of academic qualifications and extensive experience in construction may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
• Additional specializations on, enterprise development, labor market, women economic empowerment, are an asset;
• A minimum of 2 years of directly relevant experience in architecture; direct experience in the following fields is a strong asset: development, human rights, post-conflict recovery.
• Fluency in both English and Arabic is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration: One year
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Multiple locations | Yemen
- Grade: LICA-8, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Closing Date: 2017-07-29