Graphic designer Consultant
The Africa Services Unit (ASU) of UNICEF Eastern and Southern Africa Region, seeks to recruit an experienced South Africa based graphic designer for inclusion in the unit’s consultancy roster. Working under the direct supervision of the Chief of Communication in Johannesburg, the consultant may be expected to support the work of UNICEF in the region when required.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Background and Justification
UNICEF promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child, in everything we do. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Communications and multimedia material is critical to highlighting issues faced by children and to show the work being done by UNICEF and partners. The UNICEF Africa Services Unit, based in Johannesburg, is updating its 2017 database of multimedia consultants who produce materials focused on issues affecting the rights of children in sub-Saharan Africa including child protection, education, child survival, HIV and Aids, and emergencies.
Scope of Work
The graphic designer, under the supervision of the chief of communication at the Africa Services Unit, will assist in the pre-production, design and printing of creative design materials that illustrate and enhance communication around UNICEF’s work and issues affecting children. The design work can include reports for publication, infographics, brochures and others.
The material will be compiled following the UNICEF technical and ethical guidelines. The material will be distributed internally at UNICEF and for fundraising purposes, to traditional and social media outlets.
Outputs / Deliverables:
- Briefing with ASU and relevant country, regional or HQ teams regarding project
- Provide UNICEF with project timeline and management system
- Design of material which may cover topics such as emergencies, HIV and Aids, child survival and health, child protection, and education
- All material provided to UNICEF ASU on a harddrive and/or uploaded on FTP
- Specify services available and rates thereof with a rate card
- Payments will be made against all deliverables
- Any deliverable submitted and not meeting the specifications must be reworked and resubmitted at no additional cost
Desired competencies, technical background and experience
- Advanced University degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or equivalent/relevant professional experience combined with a university degree in a related field
- A minimum of five years’ relevant professional work experience in graphic design
- Demonstrated copy editing skills an advantage
- General ability to draft ideas and concepts, clearly and concisely, in written and oral form
- Proven ability to research, analyse, evaluate and synthesize information
- Strong planning and organisational skills
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and have a strong understanding of UNICEF programmes
- Knowledge of relevant computer software, internet navigation and various office applications, specifically interactive digital media
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
- Knowledge of French, Portuguese is an asset.
- The candidate selected will be governed by and subject to UNICEF’s General Terms and Conditions for individual contracts
- As per UNICEF DFAM policy, payment is made against approved deliverables. No advance payment is allowed unless in exceptional circumstances against bank guarantee, subject to a maximum of 30 per cent of the total contract value in cases where advance purchases, for example for supplies or travel, may be necessary.
- Travel, may be necessary
Under-utilization of key communication opportunities hampers overall UNICEF communication efforts and reduces programme effectiveness.
- The consultancy is based in Johannesburg South Africa and the consultant will work remotely
- The candidate must be legally able to work in South Africa
- Any cost incurred to enable the consultant successfully carry out the assignment, such as landline/office phone, computer and internet, will be covered by the consultant.
- The drafts and final documents, as well related data, will be the property of UNICEF after completion and will be handed to the Government of South Africa with full title rights. The contractor will be acknowledged for the work done in the draft documents as well as the final document, accept if the document is published as official policy or document of the Government of South Africa, then the discretion to do this lies solely with the Government of South Africa in accordance with its policies and procedures.
- Travel expenses, including DSA, will be covered in accordance with UNICEF’s rules and tariffs, by the consultant and reimbursed against actuals.
- The contractor’s budget shall be inclusive of all local (national) travel associated with the execution of this assignment. In extraordinary circumstances where UNICEF deems it necessary for the contractor to travel outside the ambit of the contractual agreement (and outside Gauteng) air transport and airport transfers (where applicable) will be covered in accordance with UNICEF’s rules and tariffs. Flight costs will be covered at economy class rate as per UNICEF policies.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit their application to the following link: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=503209 by (DATE)
- Expression of interest / motivation letter
- References and/or Reference Letters
- Quoted monthly fees
- Quoted all-inclusive travel & living expenses
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have not been contacted within 1 month of the closing date please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Johannesburg
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-07-07