Front End Developer
Copenhagen | Copenhagen
Background Information - Job-specific
The UNOPS ICT team provides the organization with tools and resources to compliment and support the corporate ERP System (Unit4 Business World), Intranet, corporate Website in alignment with the UNOPS technology platform and ICT strategy. System development domains include eProcurement, knowledge management, performance reporting, payroll, benefits and entitlements and project management.
The successful Front End Developer will join a dynamic group of more senior Front End Engineers in the Content & Design Team. The position offers an opportunity to learn, contribute fresh ideas and grow.
The Content & Design Team brief is to raise UNOPS profile and improve the perception of UNOPS through the medium of high quality public, private and mixed audience applications that imbue a sense of contemporary sophistication and professionalism.
Produce user centric applications, that are optimised around how users can, want, or need to use the application, rather than forcing the users to change their behaviour to accommodate the application.
Work with a broad base of platform (mobile, tablet and desktop) appropriate applications that are either tailored for the particular platform (commonly termed adaptive or native) or designed to respond to the different platforms parameters (commonly termed responsive).
Maintain a context and cultural awareness of current technologies and design trends to ensure that UNOPS applications are relevant and contemporary.
Utilise innovative techniques & technologies to initially help establish and subsequently reinforce UNOPS reputation of innovation.
Improve uptake, usability and positive perception of UNOPS applications by providing specialised resource in UI/UX (User Interface / User Experience) design and user testing to the wider Information Technology Group and the organisation at large.Work closely with the Communications and Partnerships Group, with a particular emphasis on working with the graphics and content teams.
- Ensure optimal performance, scalability, and usability of systems by adhering to established and evolving architectural standards.
- Actively contribute ideas, concerns and suggested approaches during technical design sessions with other developers.
- Actively contribute evidence based opinions during UX design sessions, with other developers and/or clients.
- Undertake testing (UX, functional etc) of applications, ensuring client needs are met and making sure the applications are optimized. Suggest new approaches and/or tools that may be used to improve testing.
- Take part in the specification of web applications, ensuring high graphical and UX standards are met and brand consistency is adhered to.
- Maintain detailed technical documentation.
- Stay up to date on emerging technologies and where appropriate advocate for their consideration.
- Articulate and develop new, innovative concepts that could be implemented in addition to or as a replacement for existing solutions.
- Any other duties as required.
In addition to compliance with UN/UNOPS core values/competencies and client service orientation the candidate must have:
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Good organizational skills and sound judgment.
- Comfortable both in the dynamic atmosphere of a technical project oriented organization and with working efficiently in a multi-cultural team environment.
- Able to build strong and productive relationships with clients by listening, questioning, reflecting and communicating with all levels of staff and working collaboratively to realise business benefits.
- Organized and analytical with a structured approach to problem solving and an ability to handle multiple priorities at the same time.
- Adept at working in a team environment but must be able to show initiative and ability to work independently.
- Structured approach to problem solving.
- Ability to train technical personnel and to develop and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Initiative and ability to work independently.
- A Bachelor’s degree , preferably in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, User Experience design, Computer Science or similar discipline, is required.
- Secondary education in combination with additional four years of experience may be accepted in lieu of a Bachelor's Degree.
- A demonstrable and current portfolio of web design/development work is a must.
- An understanding of the entire web development process, including design, development and deployment, with some back-end knowledge is required.
- Basic knowledge of image authoring tools, to be able to crop, resize, or perform small adjustments on an image. Familiarity with tools such as Photoshop is a plus.
- Fluency in oral and written English.
- Knowledge of other UN languages is a asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA 6
Contract duration: one year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Copenhagen | Copenhagen
- Grade: LICA-6, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Closing Date: 2017-07-16