Kathmandu (Nepal) | Nepal
Background Information - Job-specific
FieldSight is a technological platform developed by UNOPS in partnership with Nepal Innovation Lab and Miyamoto Relief that supports remote supervision and monitoring in order to improve quality and reduce risk on construction, humanitarian, and development projects. Through the delivery of educational guides, the creation and deployment of customized field assessments, and the ability to provide targeted feedback to specific sites and issues, FieldSight facilitates ongoing engagement between central offices and field sites, enabling monitoring, quality assurance, coaching, and capacity building. At the same time, by creating a central repository for data from multiple sites and projects, FieldSight also helps organizations to review progress across projects, regions, and countries. Targeted at organizations in the development and humanitarian sectors, FieldSight is an open-source platform that anyone can use to improve quality and project delivery.
Over the past year, FieldSight has been developed, released, and pilot-tested on projects throughout Nepal. In the coming year, FieldSight will be reviewing the pilot tests and will be updating the platform based on feedback and experience from its use. With an updated product, FieldSight will look to expand its use both within Nepal and around the globe, pursuing strategic partnerships that aim to integrate FieldSight into broad use. FieldSight will also look to formalizes its institutional structure in a way that will make it widely available to UNOPS and other partners.
UNOPS seeks a product manager for FieldSight to oversee the ongoing development, implementation, and institutionalization of FieldSight. In the coming year, this person will support work in five key areas:
Lead FieldSight Team
- Oversee a team of staff and contractors working on the ongoing development and implementation of FieldSight.
- Develop terms of reference and conduct procurement and hiring processes to hire new staff and organizations, or extend contracts, as necessary.
- Develop mechanisms for management and communication between and among staff and contractors.
Review Implementation and Continue Development of FieldSight
- Collect feedback from users of FieldSight on issues, challenges, and problems as well as additional features and uses they might need.
- Maintain a list of bugs and potential additional features that will inform further development of FieldSight.
- Oversee ongoing adjustments and modifications to FieldSight based on feedback from user tests.
- Design and oversee the development of new features for FieldSight, such as a community feedback portal and data analysis modules.
Develop Projects Using FieldSight
- Present FieldSight to organization both inside Nepal and within the broader development and humanitarian community that focus on how the platform can support their work.
- Work with partners and organizations to develop new projects to provide supervision using FieldSight.
- Work with UNOPS Nepal country office, World Vision Nepal Earthquake Response, and other UNOPS offices to deploy FieldSight across projects.
- Identify ways to integrate FieldSight with other existing IT tools and resources of partner organizations.
- Provide support to FieldSight users in the form of project development, content development, training, IT help, and project review.
- Travel as necessary to present FieldSight and support partners.
Develop Institutional Structure for FieldSight
- Develop stakeholder/partner group of organizations that use and support FieldSight.
- Provide ongoing support in the forms of facilitation, communication, and record-keeping.
- Develop a permanent institutional structure, home, and staffing structure for FieldSight.
Support Innovation and IT Development Groups
- Provide support to the global Response Innovation Lab as the representative member from UNOPS and support its work in identifying, developing, and deploying innovations in response contexts.
- Facilitate the UNOPS field-based IT tools development group and support their work in developing design principles and a shared repository for tools within UNOPS.
- Master's Degree in science, social sciences, innovation, engineering or relevant discipline
- Bachelor's Degree with additional relevant years of experience may be considered in lieu of a Master's Degree
- Master's degree with 5 years’ relevant professional experience in project planning, design, collaboration, project management, risk reduction, resilience, innovation or technology is required;
- 7 years of similar experience is required for incumbents holding a Bachelor's Degree;
- Experience of working with local government or in the field of public policy is required;
- Minimum of 2 years’ of experience working with I/NGOs, donor, UN agencies or government in a developing country context is required;
- Experience of working in a multi-national/cultural environment is desirable;
- Expertise in planning, management and mobilization of resources;
- Knowledge and capacity to manage project documentation to professional and accurate standards;
- Technical knowledge related to community infrastructure will be an advantage;
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation will be an advantage;
- Ability to coordinate, communicate and manage project works and meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context;
- Flexibility and ability to quickly grasp complex structures;
- Able to accurately deliver information to relevant people in a very short time frame;
- High level of proficiency in oral and written English is required
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: IICA 2
Contract duration: Initially for 6 months with possibility of extension
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.