Consultant - Conference Coordinator and Rapporteur (Open to Indian Nationals Only)
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women is the UN Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. UN Women is dedicated to gender equality and the empowerment of women. A global champion for women and girls, UN Women was established to accelerate progress on meeting their needs worldwide.
All human development and human rights issues have gender dimensions. UN Women focuses on priority areas that are fundamental to women’s equality, and that can unlock progress across the board. Five focus areas of interventions include ending violence against women; economic empowerment; leadership and participation; peace and security; and national planning and budgeting.
UN Women’s Multi Country Office, based in New Delhi, India, covers four countries of the region, i.e., Bhutan, India, Maldives, and Sri Lanka.
UN Women will be organizing a roundtable conference on 1 August 2017. This roundtable will be a part of hearing voices of minority and marginalized women, which will be critical to UN Women’s new Strategic Note that will guide our work for the next four years.
In this context, UN Women seeks to hire a Conference Consultant to provide support to the M & E and RM unit.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head, Strategic Partnerships, Policy Impact and Public Relations, the Consultant will undertake the following key tasks and other responsibilities as may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Conference Consultant will be responsible for the following:
Co-ordination and Management of the Roundtable Conference:
- Co-ordination and management of the Roundtable Conference on theme – hearing voices of minority and marginalized women in Delhi on 1 August 2017;
- Assist in drafting of Concept note(s), Agenda and Invitation letters for the roundtable conference- to recommend improvements on topics, and articulation of the same;
- Budgeting for the conference(s);
- Preparing of participant list for each conference;
- Preparing of detailed Logistics Note(s) ;
- Participant and Venue management;
- Coordination with members of media;
- Co-ordinate necessary internal and external communication with regard to the conference(s);
- Other general logistical arrangements and event management, if required;
- Post-Conference management - follow up with participants, requesting for feedback/ ensuring timely reimbursements (if any) and payments due to participants and vendors;
- Conference Documentation and Rapporteuring;
- Any other duties assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Sending out Save the Date emails, invitations, concept and logistics notes to ALL participants, including meeting chair(s), speakers, facilitators, etc.;
- Follow up on invitations via telephone, email, fax;
- Manage travel reservations and/or hotel accommodation options for participants (if needed);
- Facilitate arrangements for visa for participants, as needed;
- Ensure Protocol arrangements for VIPs, as needed;
Conference Venue arrangements:
- Ensure all meeting rooms are arranged as required (as per Agenda);
- Ensure all required audio-visual equipment and catering services be made available;
- Arrange and manage participant registration on site;
- Design and source for backdrop(s), nameplates, participant badges for the conference(s), conference kits, as needed;
- Support the preparation, production and efficient distribution of materials that will be used at the conference;
- Any other duties assigned by Supervisor from time to time.
- Organize and keep notes/minutes of all proceedings during conference sessions (incl. audio/photos);
- Produce and submit one high quality post-conference report in English following each conference (max. 20 pages).
- Successful organisation and management of 1 Roundtable Conferences on theme – hearing voices of minority and marginalized women in Delhi on 1 August 2017.
- Produce and submit one high quality post-conference report in English following 10 days the conference (max. 20 pages).
- Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Cultural sensitivity and respect for diversity:
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Additionally, the individual should have an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication. Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals in line with agreed strategies, identifies priorities, foresees risks and makes allowances accordingly.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge, sound judgment and flexibility in the context of UN Women work in India.
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities and delivers outputs in accordance with agreed time, cost and quality standards.
- Excellent facilitation and coordination skills;
- In-depth knowledge of gender equality and women's rights issues;
- Ability to communicate sensitively across different focal points;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge and understanding of UN system and familiarity with inter-governmental processes.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in Social Sciences and /or gender studies or a related field.
- 2 years of professional experience, preferably in event management within the development sector;
- Previous demonstrable experience in organizing of conferences/ consultations/workshops.
- Experience of working in women related projects would be desirable.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) required and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages desirable;
- Knowledge of UN Operational rules would be desirable.
- Fluency in English and Hindi - Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal.
Interested applicants should apply to this announcement through UNDP jobs site: jobs.undp.org
Interested individual consultants must submit the following documents/information to demonstrate their qualifications in one single PDF document:
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from http://asiapacific.unwomen.org/en/about-us/jobs
- Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, please combine all your documents into one (1) single PDF document. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment;
- Applications received after the close date will not be accepted;
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Evaluation and Selection Criteria:
Criteria for shortlisting of CVs will be based on the following assessment:
- Required Degree and Qualification (5 points);
- Experience of organising conference (5 points);
- Experience of rapporteuring (5 points);
- Working knowledge and use of computers and its programmes/applications. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spread sheet and database packages (5 points).
The evaluation process for selection of the candidate will be based on the following assessment:
- Writing samples;
- Financial quotes (daily rate).
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women’s empowerment.