Security Officer, P-4, Garowe, Somalia #63922
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Security Specialist is responsible for all aspects of security risk management (SRM), crisis readiness and preparedness at his/her respective duty station. He/she will assist the Chief of Field Office and all staff in the execution of their security responsibilities in northern Somalia. The Security Specialist will be accountable to the Senior Security Advisor and will report on security issues to the Senior Security Advisor and the Representative in times of emergency.
Key Expected Results
- Apply UN Security Risk Management (SRM) principals and procedures to analyze security factors and identify the corresponding level of risk facing UNICEF staff safety and security, and their dependents while making written recommendations for improvements in both physical safety and security as well as operational security
- In accordance with Somalia Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) standards and decisions taken by Designated Official (DO) / Security Management Team (SMT), follow up on these recommendations to ensure their full implementation.
- Coordinate security aspects of all operations / programmes, planning and contingency responses to ensure highest degree of MOSS compliance and staff security and safety is achieved while enabling programme delivery.
- In line with UNICEF specific security strategies and operational procedures, assist the Senior Security Advisor to establish and continuously update contingency/evacuation plans, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Security Risk Assessment (SRAs) for all offices in coordination with the wider UN security plans for Garowe, Somalia.
- Assist the office in the process of maintaining MOSS compliance and provide coordination, advice where necessary training to the onsite guard service.
- Provide/Coordinate security advice and training to all staff in radio communications procedures, convoy procedures, security awareness, mines/explosives identification and procedures to be followed, stress management, first aid, management of guard unit, safeguarding of property, identification of security materials and equipment required in compounds and evacuation procedures. The training should complement the training staff members receive from other UN Agency, Fund and Programmes.
- Provide weekly staff briefing, complete Significant Incident Report (SIR) and provide other security related reports or advisories as requested by the Senior Security Advisor. Attend A-SMT meetings and provide technical security advice and/or support to the Area Security Coordinator (ASC).
- Support the A-SMT and United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) Garowe in fulfilling their responsibilities and accountabilities in accordance with the UN Security Policy Manual. Actively participate in the area Security Cell and any other security information sharing forum.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, or in a discipline related to Risk Management, International Relations, Cultural Anthropology, Conflict Analysis, Intelligence Analysis, Diplomatic Studies, Conflict and Security or Counter Terrorism or related technical field.
2. Work Experience
- A minimum of 8 years progressive experience in security-related field, including at international coordination level.
- Demonstrated international security management experience and understanding of the United Nations Security Management System is an added advantage
- Oral and written proficiency in English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Results [ I ]
3. Functional Competencies
- Coping with Pressure and Setbacks (III)
- Analyzing (III)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and Initiating action (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Garowe is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Garoowe
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Mid level
- Security and Safety
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2017-07-05