VN2017/149 (P) - Migration Health Officer (P2) - Niamey, Niger
Position Title Migration Health Officer
Duty Station : Niamey, Niger
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 July 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador,
Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa Context:
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and the Programme Manager (Migration Response and Resource Mechanism (MRRM)), the direct supervision of the Protection Officer and in close coordination with relevant field offices, medical staff and transit centre managers, the successful candidate will provide administrative and substantive support to the Mission to contribute to ensuring programmatic compliance with IOM’s Migration Health Division (MHD) principles among the various medical and health activities. IOM Niger has five transit centres where medical staff (doctors, nurses) assist migrants. Further, the Mission works with partners for difficult cases. S/he will be in charge of supporting more streamlined approaches of medical components, from a public health point of view through the strengthened partnerships and procedures at all levels.
S/he will assist in liaising with the Senior Medical Officer, MHD Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs) and partners, and support the effort.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the adaptation of IOM standard MHD documents (“fit for travel form”; consent forms; referral forms; etc.) to Niger’s context through drafting and compliance checks. Page 1 / 42. Assist IOM Niger’s medical staff in liaising with the Senior Medical Officer and RTS. 3. Support the efforts to build, strengthen and/or institutionalize partnerships with medical and public health partners present in Niger, such as the Ministry of Health, national, regional and local medical facilities, UN counterparts such as the World Health Organization (WHO), and international and national NGOs active in the sector, including through the development of Memorandum of Understandings (MOUs).
4. Regularly participate in inter-agency health for coordination meetings, in particular UN working groups.
5. Support the development of specific SOPs for IOM’s medical assistance, including for different profiles requiring specific assistance.
6. Support the development of monitoring and evaluation tools for medical cases and contribute to setting up an enhanced database.
7. Participate in coordination with relevant stakeholders in the public health field, such as UN, NGOs or national counterparts to ensure mutual understanding on programmes, including to ensure that the health and medical needs of mobile populations as well as communities affected by mobility are systematically reported and appropriately addressed through specific and/or joint activities.
8. Support quality exchange and liaison with IOM Missions in countries of origin. 9. Efficiently integrate medical related variables into assessments conducted by IOM and coordinate their analysis and treatment within IOM and other key medical actors. 10. Facilitate the development of new migration health projects consistent with IOM's policies, thematic guidance notes and any relevant national policies, taking into account good practices in the area of migration health, and developed according to IOM's project development procedures.
11. Build capacities or enhance existing ones among field based colleagues on both IOM medical health assistance modus operandi and internal guidelines, as well as international protection standards.
12. Draft regular reports covering medical activities; prepare briefing, statistical/narrative reports and background information as required including specific information requested by Governments and other entities.
13. Support the coordination of medical activities between the transit centers for migrants and sub-offices in Agadez, Diffa, Zinder, Arlit and Dirkou in coordination with other managers and the Chief of Mission to ensure an integrated protection – humanitarian – development approach. 14. Undertake duty travels, in line with prevailing security restrictions, relating to project assessments, liaison with counterparts, and project implementation, as required. 15. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Public Health, Humanitarian Affairs, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Page 2 / 4Experience
• Familiarity with the issues of migration programmes and their health components in particular; • Experience working in NGO, UN, IO or Diplomatic missions;
• Thorough knowledge of the functions of intergovernmental organizations and familiarity with IOM and the UN system;
• Experience in liaising with the national and international entities, including donors; • Prior work experience in the region;
• Experience in information management, development of administrative and/or work processes and/or Monitoring and Evaluation;
• Familiarity with standard office applications and capacity in MS Publisher, Photoshop, website design and similar application desired.
Fluency in English and French is required. Working knowledge of Arabic and/or Japanese is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, Page 3 / 4accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 July 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 28.06.2017 to 11.07.2017
Requisition: VN2017/149(P) -Migration Health Officer (P2) -Niamey, Niger (55102722) Released Posting: Posting NC55102744 (55102744) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey
- Grade: P-2, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-07-11