VC Helpdesk Assistant
New York City (United States of America) | Washington D.C.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and communications Technology Division (UN DFS-ICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs). DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.
UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
Reporting to the VC Coordinator, the Video Conferencing Helpdesk Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
· Oversee the day-to-day support activities of the front line VC support team on scheduled and ad hoc Events. Prioritizes work to ensure proper support coverage for incoming Event requests.
· Regularly monitors support queue to ensure appropriate responsiveness to end user’s VC requests and/or issues. Prioritizes queue and takes action as necessary.
· Assist team in taking incoming support requests in order to ensure scheduling process is always at its most efficient and to isolate problems if any, determine cause and take action steps necessary to resolve the problem.
· Verifies with customers the effectiveness of the current processes, and that the corrective actions taken have corrected the problem. Documents all activities.
· Provides regular status updates to management regarding team’s activity, support issues and staff concerns. Escalates issues as necessary.
· Works directly with support team and clients to understand end user needs for new services and process as they relate to VC and makes recommendations to VC Coordinator as required.
· Assist with the continual improvement of helpdesk services including, telephone support, remote monitoring, scheduling tools and process, etc.
- Professionalism: Strong knowledge and experience in a global Helpdesk environment. Strong conceptual and analytical skills, demonstrated problem solving abilities and experience in requirement gathering. Ability to handle simultaneous incidents and develop approaches to resolve a wide range of issues. Individual should be self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, inquisitive, committed and resourceful to achieve goals independently as well as to work in a team environment.
- Communication: Excellent communication skills (spoken and written), including ability to convey concepts both orally and in writing in a clear, concise manner with multiple levels within the Organization.
- Planning & Organizing: Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, manage competing demands and work under pressure on a daily basis.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
High school diploma or equivalent is required. A Bachelor or master’s degree in computer science, information systems, mathematics, statistics or related field is desirable.
- Minimum 4 years of progressively responsible experience in a help desk support environment in an international environment is required. A relevant BA or a MA degree may substitute for some of the required years of experience respectively.
- Experience in gathering user questions and suggestions and translating them into operational service improvement ideas or integrating them into current processes is desirable.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in scheduling videoconferencing events, allocating resources for support and coordinating the dissemination of required information to all participants is required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in testing applications in a UAT environment and documenting findings is required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience in training users in VC equipment usage and scheduling of VC events is required.
Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations official language is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: G4
Contract duration: 1 year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services