INT 2017/16 - Intern – Media and Communications Division (MCD) - Geneva, Switzerland
Duty Station :Geneva, Switzerland
Classification Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, Six months
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible Closing Date : 17 July 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
The Media and Communications Division (MCD) of IOM is comprised of experienced communications professionals based in Geneva but also in Washington, Bangkok and Manila. The team provides advice and support on media and public information issues to IOM Headquarters and missions worldwide. It is responsible for media relations as well as producing a variety of other public information materials, including official statements to mark special events, information folders, fact sheets and press briefing notes on specific IOM activities. SUPERVISION
Under the direct supervision of the Information Officer for Emergencies, the Intern will focus on supporting the timely and professional presentation of communications related to humanitarian settings to journalists and general public across various platforms. These materials include press releases and briefing notes, long form articles, blogs, photographs from the field, infographics, flyers, presentations and video.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the planning and coordination of communications related to humanitarian situations and IOM’s humanitarian operations, including through digital communications, such as social media content production and campaigns and online copy-writing and editing. 2. Support IOM’s media liaison on humanitarian issues through supporting the drafting and review of Press Briefing Notes (PBNs), and the development and maintenance of products such a country profiles and talking points, as well as other related research. 3. Cover relevant humanitari n press briefings and meetings and prepare notes for files to be disseminated internally in IOM.
4. Provide updates and reviews to management on the status of humanitarian communications activities.
5. Support the development of IOM’s contact lists.
Page 1 / 36. Keep track of efforts and activities by other UN agencies, non-profit organizations and competitors in the area of communications on humanitarian situations and operations. 7. Identify new opportunities to improve IOM’s communications on its humanitarian operations in order to engage the general public.
8. Support IOM’s communications engagement in the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration and the TOGETHER initiative, which counters xenophobia. 9. Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Information Officer - Emergencies and colleagues of MCD.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
•University degree in communications, journalism, political science or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Strong background in media and communications with an emphasis on writing for public audiences;
• Proficient in social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, among others; • Base knowledge of and interest in global humanitarian issues;
• Strong organizational skills;
• Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios; • Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines; • Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently; Languages
• Fluency in English is required; working knowledge of French, Arabic or Spanish is highly desirable.
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Page 2 / 3• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Other:
The incumbent will acquire technical knowledge in the Media and Communications Division (MCD) Unit.
He/She will also gain in-site experience in working with an international organization. Carte de Legitimation
The Organization will obtain the ‘carte de legitimation’ for the duration of the internship for the selected candidate
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional queries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
• IOM provides a small monthly stipend; please consider the cost of living in Geneva prior to applying.
• No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 July 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 04.07.2017 to 17.07.2017
Requisition: INT 2017/16-Intern–Media and Communications Division (MCD) - Geneva, Switzerland (55108814) Released
Posting: Posting NC55108841 (55108841) Released
Page 3 / 3