Communication Consultant (Romanian language speaking)
UNICEF is seeking a creative highly-qualified Communication Consultant (fluent in Romanian language) with significant knowledge and experience in developing and maximizing usage of communication materials
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
UNICEF is a world leading organization known for sharing knowledge, best practices and mobilizing resources for children. Over the years, UNICEF in Romania, together with its partners, have developed local models on social protection, education, health and adolescent issues in order to improve children’s lives. Different materials are developed to communicate with different target audiences, to build partnerships and mobilize resources.
At the same time, UNICEF is developing global initiatives and campaigns to engage online users to understand and take action in the benefit of children and to raise funds. Global materials need to be adapted to the Romanian market and different communication channels and promoted in order to contribute to global awareness and create engagement at the country level.
In this context, UNICEF Office in Romania is looking to contract a consultant to support the developing, management and adaptation of communication materials to the local context and support maximizing the reach and engagement on all UNICEF owned and earned communication platforms. UNICEF Office in Romania needs to act quickly and maximize its capacity to promote its activities in order to achieve better results and impact for children.
At the same time, UNICEF needs support in order to maintain the relationship with corporate partners and individual donors by developing user friendly reports, proposals, and ongoing communication materials.
Support is also needed to develop creative communication materials for awareness raising, fundraising events and engagement opportunities. All communication materials must be edited in a creative and user-friendly manner, easy to understand and read, considering the target audience. The selected consultant must have the ability to understand complex social, health and education issues affecting children, to analyze documents and develop materials adapted to various target groups and communication platforms. The consultant must have the ability to understand the context and maximize the reach of the information at hand in order to create awareness and engagement. All materials developed will feed UNICEF platforms (website, blog, and social media etc.) and will be distributed at events with local and central authorities, corporate sector, private individuals and media. All relevant documents will be shared by UNICEF in order to provide a clear view of the situation of children, intervention models and results for children.
The consultant will:
- Draft creative communication materials upon request such as background documents, press releases, articles, position papers, human interest stories, brief resumes for UNICEF team members, Q&A, lessons learnt, presentations;
- Suggest multiple uses for multimedia communication materials, draft and edit them to fit the available outlets and platforms;
- Draft materials with high potential for engagement in online media;
- Draft reports for various partners.
- Draft background documents, press releases, position papers, human interest stories, brief resumes for UNICEF team members, executive summaries, Q&A, lessons learnt, presentations;
- Draft articles for UNICEF platforms and partners (including for fundraising purposes);
- Draft communication materials for awareness raising and fundraising activities (edit project proposals from technical into reader friendly language);
- Suggest key messages for different audiences and platforms;
- Draft dissemination plans for different materials;
- Prepare press folders based on the media monitoring reports;
- Posts for online platforms;
- Other communication materials.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- At least 5 years of experience in communication, journalism, including experience in documenting social issues in Romania in a sensitive and ethical manner, respecting child rights;
- Proven experience in digital engagement content;
- Proficiency in spoken and written Romanian and English is a must.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Ability to write in a creative user-friendly manner and to translate / adapt complex information into accessible communication materials, according to the specific audience;
- Experience in (writing/ editing communication materials for) online and social media;
- Ability to analyse complex information and write analytical documents;
- Time management skills, ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure;
- Credentials (different type of communication materials) and recommendations are required;
- Flexibility in responding to the needs of the contracting agency;
- Knowledge of data visualization is an advantage;
- Experience with international organizations, UN Agencies and knowledge of UNICEF work an asset.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
General conditions: procedures and logistics
Consultant will work at own premises.
UNICEF will identify people for interviews, identify families, communities and institutions and facilitate contact with them.
Standard procedures in the delivery of the products
Copyright of materials belongs to UNICEF.
All materials in support of the implementation of the task will be provided by UNICEF office upon assignment of the specific tasks.
In case of late delivery of services and unsatisfactory performance on behalf of the Consultant, UNICEF may refuse to accept delivery of all or part of the services and claim liquidated damages as per UNICEF Special Terms and Conditions.
Timeframe and duration of the assignment
The selected consultant will be working under UNICEF Contract for Services for a period of 5 months, with possibility of extension, upon evaluation. The consultant will workat own premises.
Payments will be made on monthly basis after delivery of activity report. If a field trip will need to be undertaken in order to develop materials, the logistics costs (travel and accommodation) will be covered by UNICEF in Romania.
The consultant will be responsible for paying taxes as per Romanian legislation.
Applications for the roster should contain:
- A brief cover letter;
- Recent CV in English;
- Sample of communication materials developed and published;
- Example of materials that generated / produced high engagement in social / online media;
- 3 recommendation letters with contacts;
- Financial offer in RON for each of the listed deliverables. Please state the gross amount, considering that the consultant will be responsible for paying all taxes
Only applicants considered for interview will be notified by email or telephone.
Awarding of the contract will be made based on evaluation of application documents and interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Monitoring and evaluation of the assignment
The consultant will report and work in close cooperation with the Communication and Fundraising Department and Programme Specialists.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.