Cash and Livelihood Advisor
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
The unfolding crisis in Iraq is one of the most complex humanitarian emergencies in the world today, with millions of uprooted Iraqis, and hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees. For the past several years, millions of people have been displaced from and within Iraq as a result of military operations. At the end of 2015, the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) began a military operation to enter and retake control of parts of the country under the control of armed opposition groups, especially in the Anbar governorate. Civilians have been caught in the crossfire.
NRC has been present in Iraq since 2010, with offices located in Anbar province, Baghdad, Erbil, Dohuk and Kirkuk. We have scaled up our response across Iraq to meet the large-scale crisis facing the country, reaching Iraqis with emergency assistance and supporting Syrian refugees as they live in exile. Our goal is to always be prepared to work in new settings, so we are establishing more local partnerships in Iraq. Additionally, NRC is part of the UNICEF and WFP-led Rapid response mechanism (RRM), which enables us to reach newly displaced populations with the most urgent life-saving assistance.
Today, NRC is one of the biggest cash providers in Iraq. Our emergency assistance also includes distributing food rations, hygiene kits, water and basic non-food items (NFIs). In the winter months, we also provide blankets and heaters. We pay particular attention to gender equality and ending gender-based violence (GBV).
More recently NRC in Iraq has been responding to the ongoing Mosul crisis, where it is estimated that 1.2 million people are in grave danger.
Role Specific Information
- Lead on development of the CASH/Livelihood strategy, proposals and plans. Ensuring all have taken into account gender, protection and accountability principles and are in line with international standards
- Ensure that the strategy is informed by sound analysis, with consultations with teams and concerned stakeholders and that programmes strategies are devised in promotion of NRC's values, culture and beliefs
- Guide the teams in developing systematic tools for day-to-day implementation, ensuring compliance with established guidelines and standards. This means developing/sharing emergency and early recovery CASH/LLH guidelines, process related documents, clarifying minimum standards and modalities
- Lead on developing monitoring tools to be used by the team to ensure that relevant information is being collected to inform strategy and implementation, and to ensure accountability and learning, rendering technical advice for fine-tuning plans/modalities where required
- Ensure learning from CASH/LLH programme is captured, consolidated and disseminated, contributing to knowledge building and sharing within Iraq and globally to influence policies and programme planning
- Provide support and capacity building across area offices in Iraq to ensure that NRC delivers high quality, effective and relevant programming in line with Programme Policy and strategic CC priorities in the region.
- Conduct technical oversight and development of NRC programming focused on securing the basic necessities for beneficiaries to have a minimum standard of life, from emergency response to recovery and resiliency
- Explore and develop strategic partners contributing to quality and scaling up of programmes
- Represent NRC in the Livelihoods Cluster, Emergency Livelihoods Working Group, and Cash Consortium (CCI) and provide technical inputs into the CCI Technical Working Group.
- Responsible to ensure that livelihood sensitive program designs, development processes and pilots are incorporated in field programs, in close cooperation with the relevant CC specialists
- Ensure logical links between CCs that foster livelihoods
- Operationalize NRC’s regional approach to livelihoods-sensitive programming
- Standardize approaches and guidelines supporting livelihood sensitive programme and project design
- Harmonize cash programming across all area offices and harmonize cash modalities across the different core competencies.
- Provide support with the development and implementation of market assessments and price monitoring.
- Provide technical support with beneficiary identification, including the revision of vulnerability assessments, definition of selection criteria, and scoring.
- Provide technical support to other NRC Core Competencies to use cash as a modality.
- Have a general oversight of MPCA (multi-purpose cash assistance) country-wide cash program and livelihoods activities.
- Provide support with the setup of information management structures for data collection, reporting and M&E for livelihoods and MPCA projects.
- Support the area offices with implementation capacity in emergency situations.
- Provide support with recruitment of qualified staff in areas of operations; having dotted technical line management to all CASH/LLH senior staff
- Lead for CASH/LLH donor proposal, budget and reporting writing and contract management, developing relations with donors and providing regular input into other internal and external reports
- Help area offices in identifying their gaps in terms of capacity to deliver cash based programmes timely and at scale; as well as the activities to be undertaken to increase the country teams’ capacity.
Our Ideal Candidate:
University graduate in relevant field with a minimum of 3 years of experience with multipurpose cash programming in humanitarian / recovery context. Someone with experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in the Middle East. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong multipurpose cash programming experience, who has proven experience of development of cash programs and providing technical expertise to the field staff with Cash.
If this sounds like you, apply now to join one of the world’s leading INGO’s and be part of a team of highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: 12 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
Duty station: Erbil, with travel to field offices
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
NB: Please enter the geographical location in the "Company name" field for both company and location on your application.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Emergency Aid
- Cash-Based Interventions
- Closing Date: 2017-07-19