CON 2017 48 - Consultant - Technical Focal Point for Human Resource Management (HRM) - Kiev, Ukraine
Position Title :Consultant - Technical Focal Point for Human Resource Management (HRM)
Duty Station :Kiev, Ukraine
Classification Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, Six months
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible Closing Date : 17 July 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Context:
Under the overall supervision of the CBMM Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the CBMM National Officer, the successful candidate will assist in the effective implementation of project “Support for Migration and Asylum Management in Ukraine” funded by the EU and implemented by IOM.
The position is related to the provision of complex support aimed at strengthening the institutional capacity of the State Migration Service (SMS) of Ukraine by developing and introducing human resources (HR) and training strategies and related tools, in compliance with the “The Concept of Priority Actions to Reform the State Migration Service of Ukraine”, the Law of Ukraine “On Civil Service”, the overall Public Administrative Reform (PAR) and other relevant documents.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Design and lead the conduct of a kick-off workshop for the introduction of the SMS human
resource management (HRM) initiative with the participation of senior SMS personnel: • Deliver a presentation on the expert’s experiences, relevant to the above mentioned initiative • Provide information on existing EU standards in HRM in state civil agencies (if applicable) • Advice IOM and SMS personnel on stages and milestones of the project aimed at enhancing the HRM system in civil agency of EU-type, judging from previous experiences in implementing similar projects or initiatives and based on the project’s goals.
• Moderate discussions with SMS personnel on the HRM initiative
2. Prepare an Action plan to assess the current status of the HRM system of the SMS and submit it to IOM for approval;
3. Conduct desk review of the legal framework of the HRM in the SMS to verify whether the legal framework is matched by the institutional setting from the HR point of view, as well as potential gaps and loopholes
4. Assessment the HRM system of the SMS that will include, inter alia: • SMS leadership’s vision and expectations on the HR system development • HR processes and tools
• Career development model
Page 1 / 4• Personnel evaluation system
• Personnel training system.
5. Prepare an assessment report with recommendations on the HRM system development in cooperation with the project’s legal experts.
6. Prepare a SMS HRM Development Strategy in cooperation with the project’s legal experts based on the assessment findings and recommendations, legal review and SMS leadership vision.
7. Design and lead the organization and delivering of a HR Development Strategy workshop with participation of the SMS leadership
8. Develop an Action Plan of implementation of the HR Development Strategy in coordination with the SMS counterparts
9. Write and submit monthly progress reports to the project manager and the IOM CBMM National Officer detailing work undertaken, plans for the next month and key recommendations for further implementation.
10. Constantly coordinate plans for HR activities with the CBMM National Officer, who will review the plans in coordination with the SMS leadership and submit the plans to the project manager for approval.
11. Guide SMS leadership in enhancing HRM system via consultations, personal meetings and targeted workshops. Cultivate valuable working relationships with SMS counterparts. 12. Provide necessary support and facilitation in planning of possible study visits for the SMS personnel to EU member states
13. Other duties related to the Contract as assigned.
Upon successful implementation of the tasks pertaining to the Phase I the Consultant will lead in implementation of the HR Development Strategy Action Plan.
Tangible and measurable outputs of the assignment:
1. Action plan on the HR management assessment in the SMS developed and submitted to the SMS leadership for approval
2. HRM assessment conducted and a report with findings drafted and recommendations developed
3. SMS HR Development Strategy developed and submitted to the SMS leadership for approval 4. Minimum two workshops with the SMS senior personnel and HR Department personnel conducted
5. The SMS HR Development Strategy Action Plan developed and submitted to the SMS leadership for approval.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master's degree in public administration, law or related field from an accredited academic institution is required.
• At least five years of experience in senior management positions responsible for human resources management in an EU state organization/agency
• Extensive knowledge of EU best practices in HR management in civil/law enforcement organizations
• Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
• Strong analytical and research skills
• Strategic thinking
Page 2 / 4• Experience of working as an HR expert outside of EU MS (third countries) Languages
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Russian is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 17 July 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 06.07.2017 to 17.07.2017
Page 3 / 4Requisition: CON 2017/48-Consultant -Technical Focal Point for HR Management - Kiev,Ukraine (55111165) Released
Posting: Posting NC55111166 (55111166) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Kiev
- Grade: OTHE
- Closing Date: 2017-07-17