Project Finance Officer - Elimination of Violence Against Women Programme (Egyptian Nationals & Residents Only)
UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women, operational since January 2011, works towards accelerating the United Nations’ goals on gender equality and the empowerment of women. UN Women supports innovative and catalytic programmes, advocacy, and technical assistance related to women’s human rights in countries throughout the world as part of the overall UN development cooperation system.
UN Women Egypt Country Office is based in Cairo, and works in the three priority areas: Leadership and Political Participation; Economic Empowerment; Ending Violence Against Women;
Under the umbrella of the Ending Violence against Women portfolio, a consistent support is being provided to the National Council for Women with the aim of creating a stigma free community that is socially and legally boosting gender equality and combatting all forms of violence against women. The unit is closely cooperating with the National Council for Women and its Complaints Office on three different components related to: 1- Enhancing the political and legislative framework to protect and prevent from all forms of violence against women, 2- Changing perceptions and attitudes towards gender roles and violence against women through awareness activities and door to door campaigns, and 4-reaching out to relevant national stakeholders and strategic actors to raise their awareness about the established referral system and exerted efforts in the domain of women’s empowerment and combatting all forms of violence against women.
In order to ensure the effective implementation and timely reporting of the above-mentioned outputs and their planned activities, the Finance Officer to be based at the National Council for Women. The Finance Officer work will include all the activities falling under the umbrella of the Safe Cities programme and the National Strategy on Ending Violence against Women, as well as any other activity resulting from the cooperation between the National Council for Women and the Ending Violence against Women portfolio of the UN Women, Egypt Country Office. Under the leadership of the National Council for Women, the Finance officer will ensure the effective management, monitoring and reporting of all financial obligations pertaining to the timely implementation of project work-plans; liaising with relevant stakeholders and partners.
In addition, the Finance Officer will be responsible for providing substantive support in the areas of financial, budgetary and accounting management. The incumbent will be responsible for calculation and monitoring of delivery, project actual expenses and balance for liquidations and newly requested advances. and Notably, s/he will support and facilitate towards the achievement of the National Strategy on Ending Violence Against Women objectives, by monitoring all financial plans and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Ending Violence Against Women (EVAW) unit head unit and day-to-day follow-up of the National Council for Women, the finance officer will ensure the effective management and monitoring of all financial obligations pertaining to the implementation and coordination on project activities with fellow implementing partners, on the delivery of holistic support services for women survivors of violence.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Prepare and manage all financial and accounting reports, proposals and budgets on project activities;
- Prepare and keep tracking of project’s expenses, commitments and delivery;
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Preparation and submission of UN Women requirement reports;
- Oversight and reporting on all project expenditures;
- Ensure compliance with United Nations (UN) financial policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
- Assist with annual external audit and DOI examination. Complete requested materials. Assist in preparing assigned schedules for the annual and interim audit;
- Undertaking any necessary field visits to NCW Complaints’ Office branches;
- Ensuring spending of allocated amounts as planned;
- Undertake any other requested assignments.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Thorough knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles.
- Excellent knowledge and application skills of IT tools and management systems.
- Ability to provide input to accounting and financial business processes re-engineering,
- Good analytical skills and results orientation.
- Client oriented approach to work.
- Skills to manage relationships and communicate..
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor Degree in Finance and or Accounting is required.
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy, CPA, CFA or similar will have a distinct advantage..
- Minimum 4 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting and financial management in a large international and/or corporate organization, preferably in the UN system and its organizations or in Public International Development Organizations.
- Experience of IPSAS or IFRS highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in web based management systems and ERP financial systems such as PeopleSoft.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in financial planning and management, accounting, and in complex financial rules and a regulations.
- Fluency in written and spoken English & Arabic is required.