Consultancy to implement a course on Gender Mainstreaming
Tome (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women Training Centre (TC) is dedicated to supporting the UN and other stakeholders to realize commitments to gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s rights through transformative training and learning. Its mission is to become the leading UN Centre that contributes, through training for gender equality, to building a society that respects and promotes human rights for all women and men. The gender capacity-development programmes range from basic and introductory levels to specialized and advanced levels for diverse audiences with different backgrounds. In terms of capacity-development strategies and techniques, the Training Centre makes maximum use of on-line training techniques, paying special attention to e-learning courses and an active learning approach.
The UN Women Training Centre also promotes articulation and knowledge exchange among gender training specialists and other relevant groups and the development of tools and materials in the area of training for gender equality. It supports the documentation of existing good practices and innovative processes, as well as discussion and analysis of training methodologies and approaches directed towards contributing to ongoing capacity development as a concrete means for achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women Training Centre has carried out several face-to-face training courses on Gender Mainstreaming for different audiences. Based on these training experiences and existing UN Women tools, the Training Centre developed a training course that encompasses gender mainstreaming in public policies, development programmes and projects and institution in 2016.
The objective of this consultancy is to implement a pilot blended training course on Gender Mainstreaming based on the course and materials developed during 2017.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Training Programme Coordinator, the consultant will be responsible for the delivery of the following products:
- Prepare course: finalize preparation of content, platform preparation, etc.
- Deliver blended course (facilitation of online and face to face sessions)
- Prepare course report due
Core Values and Guiding Principles:
· Demonstrate the values of United Nations and UN Women, act without consideration of personal gain, resist undue political pressure in decision-making, no abuse of power or authority, stand by decisions in the organization’s interest, and take action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behavior.
· Show pride in work and achievements, demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter, conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments and achieving results, motivated by professional rather than personal concerns, show persistence when faced with challenges, and remain calm in stressful situations.
Respect for Diversity:
· Work effectively with people from all backgrounds, treat all people with dignity and respect, treat men and women equally, show respect for and understand diverse opinions by examining own biases and behaviours to avoid stereotypical responses, and do not discriminate against any individual or group.
Ethics and Values:
· Promoting Ethics and Integrity / Creating Organizational Precedents.
· Building support and political acumen.
Developing and Empowering People / Coaching and Mentoring:
· Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation.
Working in Teams:
· Building and promoting effective teams.
Communicating Information and Ideas:
· Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication.
Self-management and Emotional intelligence:
· Creating an emotionally intelligent organization.
Conflict Management / Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements:
· Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards.
Knowledge Sharing / Continuous Learning:
· Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning.
· Excellent level of conceptual and analytical capacity;
· Demonstrates use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements;
· Able to work virtually, using communication technologies;
· Strong interpersonal skills;
· Proven skills in desktop computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree in education, gender or women’s studies, human rights, international development, social sciences or related field.
- Five to eight years of experience in the field of gender equality and women´s empowerment and gender mainstreaming.
- Relevant experience in training for gender equality is required.
- Familiarity with the UN system and specifically on gender equality and women’s empowerment within the UN system is highly desired.
- Excellent command of English skills are required