Education Cultural Mediator (Part Time) - National Cont
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in 40 countries around the world.
DRC’s mandate is driven by three global strategic objectives within the DRC Assistance Framework: Saving lives and alleviation of immediate suffering among people affected by conflict, Safeguarding, restoration and development of livelihoods, and, Institutional and organisational change that contributes to protection of people’s rights and peaceful handling of conflict.
DRC has been operating in Greece since December 2015, providing support to the Greek Government in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece. In order to provide support to refugees and migrants who will stay in Greece permanently or longer than planned, language education has become an essential tool. DRC will together with the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens organize classes of Greek and English language for refugees and migrants who will temporary or permanent stay in Greece and support their Integration in Greek society
The Education Cultural Mediator will provide support in implementation of Foreign Language Education for Adult Refugee Student project. S/he will coordinate among students who are participating in the program from sites (Schisto, Scaramanga and Elionas) and urban settings making sure they are receiving needed support.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited, to the following:
Support to students
- Provide support to students who are attending language classes at University campus, organizing regular (daily/weekly) visits to sites (Schisto, Skaramangas and Elionas) and meetings with students to address ongoing challenges and provide necessary support
- Disseminate information (roles and responsibilities) among students, making sure they understand their responsibilities and minimum requirements for University course such as regular attendance and absence from the lessons.
- Facilitate on site per to per student learning groups and homework
- Assist students in obtaining monthly transportation tickets
- Dissemination of transportation tickets (single, weekly or monthly)
- Updating distribution list
- Submission of weekly update on student’s attendance
- Ensure timely submission of monthly reports
- Strong verbal and written knowledge of Arabic or Farsi
- Working knowledge of English
- Experience of community-based or community mobilization work in a humanitarian context is a strong advantage
- Ability to work with refugees in underprivileged settings
- Strong computer skills
- Strong Excel skills
- High professional ethics
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Dynamic personality and ability to work under pressure
- Commitment to the values, vision and mission of DRC
- Commitment and respect of the DRC code of conduct
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principle
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Ability to multitask and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
Terms and Conditions
The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law, and all allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus).
DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
The position will be based in Attica (Greece) and national terms and conditions apply.
The employee shall follow DRC instructions on safety, confidentiality and ethical guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and the Humanitarian Accountability Framework.
Employee should not engage in any other paid activity during the DRC contract period without prior authorization.
Employee should not engage in any activity that could harm DRC or the implementation of any project during the DRC contract period.
Employee should not give interviews to the media or publish project-related photos or other material without prior authorization.
Employee shall return all borrowed equipment for the project to DRC after the end of the contract period or upon request.
Interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
Applications close on the 12th of July 2017.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.