Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women will work for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Under the overall guidance of the Programme Specialist, the Programme Assistant ensures effective delivery of country programmes by managing data and supporting programme implementation consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
The Programme Assistant can supervise clerical and support staff of the Programme Unit. The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UN Women Regional Office as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide effective support to management of the CO programme
2. Support the preparation of reports on projects execution
3. Provide administrative support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Verify that the internal expenditures control system which ensures vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas.
Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
1. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to the organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Perform all other duties as assigned.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
q Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
q Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
q Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
q Responds positively to new approaches
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
q Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
3 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems. Knowledge of Atlas is an asset.
Fluency in French and knowledge in English as an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.