Security Officer (National Position), Hamam Al Alil, Nineveh - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil, Kirkuk and Hamam Al Alil.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the Security Officer position is day to day implementation of the support functions responsibilities.
The Security Officer will be reporting to Security Coordinator.
This position will be based in Hamam Al Alil - Nineveh with some visits to NRC site operations.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
Minimum 2 years of experience in similar role in a LNGO, INGO or international organization.High school degree or equivalent qualification. Experience from working as a security officer in humanitarian and recover/context.The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Fluency in Arabic and some knowledge of English Language is preferable. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Develop network of contacts able to provide information on security environment in Hamam Al Alil and Mosul
- Engage with local security forces to get updates on security threats and incidents
- Assist with securing access approval for staff movement
- Prepare and develop status reports/updates as required by management
- Contribute to the development of the area security plans, collecting contributions from the field team and submitting to the Security Coordinator and Area Manager for approval
- Develop and operationalize the Hibernation-Relocation-Evacuation Plan, in particular preparing the necessary systems and equipment (communication equipment, vehicles, stocks etc.)
- Implement security & safety measures as advised by security coordinator
- Organize security & safety briefings and ongoing trainings for all newly recruited local staff joining the mission (with specialised trainings for drivers and guards)
- Assist security coordinator in running drills to test response time with regard to relocation, hibernation, security telephone tree etc.
- Attend relevant meetings (security and access) – especially with security forces and partner NGOs. Act as an interpreter for non-Arabic speaking NRC staff members in these meetings.
- Exceptional knowledge of Hamam Al Alil and Mosul contexts
- Handling insecure environment
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
The post will be for nine (9) months contract duration (with possibility of extension)-Subject to funds
Salary: 5/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: NRC Erbil Office
Travel : 20%
For more information, please find enclosed the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Security and Safety
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: