Driver & Logistics Clerk, Multiple positions
Baghdad | Erbil
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - PSC
The UNOPS Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Cluster is responsible to administer, provide support and oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Cluster Director who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Cluster on behalf of its clients.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Support Services Officer & Deputy Programme manager, the Driver & Logistics Clerk provides reliable and safe driving services for the transport of authorized personnel. The Driver & Logistics Clerk has a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
This position is based at the field office of Erbil, with frequent missions to the sites (scattered in the surrounding districts). The Driver & Logistics Clerk can often be required to travel in complex and challenging environments with limited resources and eventually stay there overnight (in exceptional cases).
Within limits of delegated authority and depending location, a Driver & Logistics Clerk at this level may be responsible for the following duties:
- Provides reliable and secure driving services by: driving vehicles safely for the transport of authorized personnel, collecting and delivering mail, documents and other items; and meeting official personnel at the airport and facilitating immigration and customs formalities as required
- Ensures proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports
- Ensures the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle by checking cleanliness, safety, oil, water, battery, brakes, tries, performing minor repairs and arranging for major repairs and ensuring that the vehicle is kept clean
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts
- Ensures that immediate steps as required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident
- Assist the Support Service Officer (SSO) in Receiving Inspection Report (RIR), storage arrangements, Inventory record keeping
- Assists in local procurement areas such as obtaining quotation, specifications
- Assist in arranging for clearance of the consignments such as preparing Tax Exemption Certificates, Customs clearances and necessary permits from Government
- Provide advice as regards to local laws on traffic environments, local customs
- Assist in the upgrading and maintenance of office building(s)/premises, vehicles, furniture, equipment and utilities
- Assistance with office tasks (photocopying, scanning as directed)
- Process documents and liaise with local authorities for approval
- Work independently in the absence of supervision
- Performs other relevant duties as required
Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings
Communication - Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Planning and Organizing - Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently
Judgement/Decision-making - Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; Gathers relevant information before making a decision; Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the organization; Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; Checks assumptions against facts; Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision; Makes tough decisions when necessary
Client Orientation - Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep; informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client
Education: Secondary school diploma (high school) or equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in driving is required
- Minimum of one (1) year of logistics experience is required
- A valid driver's license is required
- Experience in driving both Manual and Automatic transmission vehicles is desired
- Experience in providing helpful feedback to others in the office is desired.
- Experience in minor vehicle repair is desired.
- Good knowledge of the area and the current condition of roads and highways, security and safety awareness is desired.
- Excellent knowledge of protocol is desired.
- Intermediate level of English (speaking, reading and writing) is required
- Knowledge of another UN official language is desired
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: ICS-3 (LICA-3)
Contract duration: One Year renewable depending on satisfactory performance and availability of funding
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- This is a local position, therefore only nationals of duty station or applicants with a valid residence permit will be considered.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Baghdad | Erbil
- Grade: LICA-3, Local Individual Contractors Agreement
- Closing Date: 2017-07-19