Private Sector Consultant
New York City (United States of America)
The Strategic Partnerships Division (SPD) is responsible for proactively driving the strategic positioning of UN Women so that the size, sources and predictability of its resources help the organization achieve its strategic goals. Advising and supporting UN Women HQ and field offices, SPD is organized into three functional clusters: Resource Mobilization & Partnerships, Communications & Advocacy, and Civil Society. Given the scope and interrelationships of SPD functional responsibilities, the work of SPD is highly synergistic, involving constant and direct interaction and information-sharing among team members, to provide high-quality advice, services and support to UN Women as it strives to achieve resource mobilization goals set by the Strategic Plan 2014-2017, the Resource Mobilization Strategy, and copes with a growing number of donor reports.
UN Women current and expanding cost-sharing programmes require that SPD have comparable capacity to meet the demand of UN Women’s reporting needs, providing quality control and reflecting the results-based discipline, to support and strengthen donor relations in the context of the organization's overall resource mobilization effort.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Strategic Partnerships Division and reporting directly to the Private Sector Advisor, the consultant is responsible for the following:
- Undertake research into the social sustainability and social mission strategies of specific potential private sector partners and develop a strategy of engagement;
- Assist with the development of proposals for UN Women’s outreach to specific private sector organizations and individuals based on developed strategy;
- Support customizing UN Women’s case for support for UN Women’s global mandate, as well as specific country programmes.
More specifically, the consultant will be supporting the Private Sector for following deliverables:
- Cultivate and Private Sector partners – August to December 2017;
- Collaborate with Programme and Policy for project proposals to prospective private sector partners –August to December 2017;
- Coordinate partnerships and fundraising opportunities, around UN Women priorities in collaboration with regional and country offices. Organize Private Sector Philanthropic Leads Forum in Africa – December 2017;
- Support organization of UN Women’s Global Private Sector Philanthropic Leaders Forum – September 2017;
- Conduct an in-dept mapping and analysis of Public Giving opportunities for UN Women – August 2017;
- Support in developing a Public Giving Strategy including offline and online donor recruitments for UN Women.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modeling UN/UN Women values and ethical standards;
- Promotes vision, mission and strategic goals of UN Women;
- Ability to relate to individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and to work with them in a fair, supportive and cooperative manner.
- Very good understanding of and experience in communications and outreach;
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies;
- Strong analytical and research skills;
- Sound judgment and ability to pro-actively seek options to meet clients' needs;
- Familiarity with UN Women and UN system, and the donor community;
- Familiarity with gender and development issues.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters in international relations, development, economics, law, communications and/or related field.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressively more responsible experience at the national or international level, in development, donor relations, information and communication, business development, resource mobilization, and/or marketing;
- Previous United Nations and UN Women work experience is preferable;
- Experience in donor relations, resource mobilization and related fields;
- Must be capable of effectively using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Intranet, knowledge of electronic resource mobilization information system;
- Experience working with databases and knowledge sharing tools;
- Excellent communication skills and experience in working in a client oriented environment.
- Fluency in English (written and oral). Knowledge of another UN official language an asset.