Programme Specialist, Advocacy & Innovation (For Egyptian Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the supervisor, the Programme Specialist exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions under his/her portfolio. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provision of top quality advisory services in SDG advocacy and Innovation;
- Support to Leading the RO´s engagement with men and boys;
- Advocacy lead around women, peace and security;
- Strategic partnerships, Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management.
Provision of top quality advisory services in SDG advocacy and Innovation:
- Design and formulation of programme initiatives within the area of responsibility, translating UN Women’s priorities into local interventions;
- Provision of programme advisory support to the Office Management within the thematic area/portfolio assigned;
- Conceptualize and develop innovative advocacy strategies for UN Women to advance the GEWE dimensions of the SDGs at the regional and national levels;
- Develop innovative ways to use advocacy mechanisms and channels;
- Develop and disseminate advocacy messaging to target constituencies and stakeholders to broaden and deepen ownership of the SDGs, galvanize action, support accountability and showcase best practices;
- Provide technical inputs to long-term communications plans for youth initiatives and partnership work;
- Conduct, participate and/or manage a comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, communication, economic and political issues including gender inequalities and discrimination in the region.
Support to Leading the RO´s engagement with men and boys
- Support the development and implementation of a regional strategy for Male engagement in gender equality: including key issues, objectives, tactics and tools;
- Support the development of strategic partnerships and an engagement framework with key internal and external stakeholders including UN Women country offices, UN Agencies, and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs);
- Design, develop and implement an innovative youth strategy and university championship programme to enhance the participation of youth in gender equality regionally;
- Build links and form effective relationships with key allies in youth movements around the region;
- Establish a network of young advocates to promote gender equality;
- Design a youth engagement framework for engaging young women and men in gender equality and support the development of gender sensitive training, communication and advocacy materials for young supporters.
Advocacy lead around women, peace and security:
- Ensure the development and implementation of public awareness strategy to promote women peace and security agenda;
- Provide technical support and coordination for Women, Peace, and Security communications;
- Liaise with Communications department on the development of visual assets, templates, and other resources for ongoing strategic communications;
- Work with advocates and gender equality champions and key influencers to design proper messages to promote gender equality, peacebuilding and transitional justice internationally;
- Promotion and raising awareness about the UN Security Council Resolutions: Women Peace and Security1325 and Resolution 2250 on Youth, Peace and Security.
Strategic partnerships, Advocacy support and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Support to the implementation of the office partnerships and resources mobilization strategies to achieve programme outcomes within the areas assigned;
- Create and coordinate partnerships with the relevant UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.;
- Support the establishment of advocacy networks at national level and linkages to international networks related to the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Develop and strengthen the RO´s youth engagement strategy, as a cross cutting issue;
- Proactively and substantively support and implement relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners;
- Identify and synthesis best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals in the sectorial/thematic areas assigned;
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
The post has an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UN Women interventions and activities in the assigned sectorial/thematic areas, which impact in turn on the overall effectiveness of the UN Women programme in the RO. By helping ensure effective design, planning, implementation, and M&E of assigned sectorial/thematic areas, and building networks and helping mobilize resources for these areas, the incumbent enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in implementation of highly effective programmes with strong impact.
CORE VALUES / GUIDING PRINCIPLES:
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct;
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work;
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative;
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication;
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others;
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution;
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making.
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets, manage contributions and investments, manage transactions, conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change;
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice;
- Lead teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills;
- Focuses on impact and result for the partners and responds positively to feedback.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in, International Development, Gender, Human Rights, Applied Anthropology, or in other related Social Sciences.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments, preferably in the field of gender and human rights of women. Experience in working on advocacy, gender equality and engaging men and boys;
- Prior experience in the UN System and the Region will be an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.