Freetown (Sierra Leone)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the direct supervision of the Representative, the Operations Associate carries out varied and inter-related operational, financial and logistical activities ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. She/he provides support to the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with UN Women mandate, rules and regulations. She/he works in close collaboration with the operations, programme teams in the Regional Office and HQs as required for resolving complex operations-related matters and exchange of information.
The Operations Associate is results and client oriented producing administrative services of the highest quality in a timely and proactive fashion.
Duties and Responsibilities
Contribute technically to the operations in the Country Office in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and policies and strategies
- Contribute to an annual workplan for the Operations Team and assist with its implementation and monitoring; Work with Programme colleagues to create budgets in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of project;
- Participate in review meetings and provide support to the assessment of the managerial and operational capacities of implementing partners in collaboration with the programme and technical team;
- Provide substantive inputs to business process mapping and the establishment of internal standard operating procedures in all areas of the Operations Team’s functions;
- Provide substantive inputs to the implementation of corporate, budget, financial, procurement, and HR policies and systems and support in the training of staff in Country Office;
- Provide monthly project based technical and financial analyses;
- Provide technical support and guidance to the Country Office on operational issues;
- Ensure a continuous and up-to-date flow of information between the Regional Office and Country Office.
Contribute technically to the planning, expenditure tracking and auditing of financial resources in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and policies and strategies
- Oversee and monitor the tracking and auditing of financial resources for the Country Office;
- Provide substantive inputs to the management of office and programme financial resources while exercising proper financial controls;
- Review and verify accuracy and relevancy of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports;
- Maintain data in Atlas;
- Prepare for internal and external audits and coordinating implementation of audit action plan by drafting periodic status update reports and collating supporting documents.
Contribute technically to the provision of Human Resources services in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and corporate policies and strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to recruitment processes and contract management; liaise with the UNDP and HQ as necessary;
- Provide technical support to the Country Office as necessary and in collaboration with the HR Associate;
Contribute technically to procurement processes in accordance with UN Women rules and regulations and corporate policies and strategies
- Monitor and track Country Office transactions as necessary, and in collaboration with the Procurement Associate;
- Review procurement processes including submissions to the Contract, Asset and Procurement Committee and Advisory Committee on Procurement;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of procurement plans;
- Ensure proper inventory control of assets and liabilities.
Coordinate the audit process in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Coordinate the pre-audit preparations for the Country Office to be audit ready and complete the pre-audit checklist;
- Provide advice and technical support to Country Office on audits;
- Provide support and adequate response to questions arising from audit in Regional Office and HQ
- Contribute to the training in Regional Office and Country Office as part of the training plan or requirement of pre-audit preparations or as otherwise determined by Operations Manager.
Contribute to knowledge sharing
- Ensure knowledge is shared and adequately applied between the Training Center and other Country Office/Regional Office in the region;
- Coordinate the organization of training for the office staff and partners on programmes and operations related issues;
- Support synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices related to programme and financial management;
- Contribute to curriculum development and training of Implementing Partners (IPs) for programmatic and financial liquidations to the office after successful implementations;
- Design and introduce innovations in financial business operational practices and management.
Provide technical backstopping to the Country Office in all functions of the Operations Unit.
- Provide support to the review financial and technical proposals submitted from Implementing Partners;
- Analyze/interpret the financial rules and regulations, as well as established policies and procedures, and provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Provide guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects. Keep track of the appropriate and timely use of financial resources.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Good knowledge of administrative and financial rules and regulations;
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract and interpret data;
- Ability to manage business processes re-engineering, and implementation of new systems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Strong IT skills;
- Ability to priorities work and to multi-task;
- Ability to handle web-based management systems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Secondary Education.
- University Degree in Business, Administration and Finance, would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, procurement, human resources or logistic support services at the national or international level;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Fluency in English is required.
- Working knowledge of another official UN language.