Education Officer, Manila, Temporary Appointment (Open to Philippine Nationals)
Purpose of the Position Under the supervision of the Education Specialist, this post is accountable for professional technical contribution to basic education programme planning, management, coordination, monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the Basic Education project under the Education programme with focus on equity, quality, culturally-sensitive child-friendly early learning and evidence-based advocacy. This post will coordinate the implementation of activities in support of target outputs for Basic Education in UNICEF Philippines. The responsibilities include education in emergency and DRRM cluster coordination as well as activities at sub-national level, maintain, monitor and analyse key education indicators at national and subnational level, and enhance teamwork and capacity building for effective implementation of basic education workplan.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Program/Project management.
Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective basic education project design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation. The Post also plays a primary role for Disaster Risk Reduction Management (DRRM) and education in emergency (EiE) interventions. Draft sound Education programme budgets, communications and concept notes for review by the supervisor.
• Project efficiency and effectiveness.
Enhance project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply assistance and status of regular Basic Education project, DRRM and EiE interventions. Undertake field visits and identify opportunities for effective education programme implementation.
• Work Plan and Project Documentation.
Analyze collected data and information and prepare progress reports; provide technical inputs to proposals and other technical documents, draft changes in Education project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and technical assistance services as well as in the drafting of Donor reports and other project documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action.
• Project Implementation Information and Data.
Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that Education project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database. Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies.
• Communication and Networking.
Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
• Team with DepED counterparts and other implementing partners at national and sub-national levels to exchange information on Education project implementation and status as well as movement and distribution of supplies and expert services support especially for EiE.
• Coordinate with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to Education sector.
• Explore new networking opportunities with new partners in the sector and proactively facilitate coordination within and beyond the education sector.
• Any other tasks, as required.
Qualifications and Competencies of Successful Candidate
• Advanced* University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, or a field(s) relevant to international development assistance.
• Five years of work experience, with minimum of two years of professional work experience at national or international levels on relevant Education programmes.
• Relevant experience working in the UN or other international development organization is an asset.
• Experience in working in emergency (protracted conflict emergency) or fragile situations is an asset.
• Experience in managing development projects (implementation, financial management, reporting), preferably some education projects (both technical and financial management) is an asset.
• Good understanding of geographical and cultural diversity of the country, such as Mindanao, is an advantage.
• Ability to (i) work flexibly and independently with limited supervision in a multicultural team environment and deliver quality results against tight deadlines; and (ii) handle multiple tasks and deliver quality outputs even under pressure, is required.
• Strong computer skill (word, excel, power point, outlook) is required.
• Strong communication skills (both writing and speaking), especially the ability to draft analytical reports/documents is required.
• Proactive coordination and networking skills required.
• Experiences in managing and analyzing relatively large size of data and information from different sources and producing meaningful results and recommendations out of the data/information analysis is an asset.
• Fluency in English and Filipino (both oral and in writing) are required.
• First university degree and five (5) years of relevant professional experience may exceptionally be considered by the organization,
Diversity and inclusion
Communication [ II ]
Working with People [ I ]
Drive for Results [ I ]
Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ I ]
Analyzing [ II]
Applying Technical Expertise [ II ]
Learning and Researching [ II]
Planning and Organizing [ II ]
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/ by 28 July 2017. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal under Job Number: 505948 will be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Manila
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer
- Education and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-07-28