Child Protection Specialist – Social Norms Partnership, P4, Khartoum, Sudan, Temporary Appointment for 364 days
Looking for a Child Protection Specialist to lead manage and coordinate the ‘Sudan free from FGM/C’ program while also providing technical support related to UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Program while also leading and building synergies with the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Program.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Under the supervision and the general guidance of the Chief of Child Protection, the incumbent will lead, manage and coordinate the ‘Sudan free from FGM/C’ program while also providing technical support related to UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Program while also leading and building synergies with the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Program. This role includes management of the partnership between DFID, UNICEF, UNFPA and WHO to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of the program in order to achieve the expected results. The Specialist will also provide technical guidance/operational support on area of social norms including FGM and child marriage throughout all stages of programming. The Specialist facilitates the management and delivery of concrete and sustainable contribution to national and international efforts to abandon the FGM/Child Marriage according to the strategic plans, allocation, results based-management approaches, standards of performance and accountability framework.
Key Expected Results
- Leadership, management, coordination and technical support of the ‘Sudan free from FGM/C’ program, liaising with partners in UNFPA and WHO, NCCW as well as DFID (60 %);
- Manage the partnership to ensure effective integration and synergy of all activities by all agencies. This includes acting as the focal point between DFID and UN partners in matters related to ‘Sudan free from FGM/C’ program;
- Ensure integration and synergy between ‘Sudan free from FGM/C’ and UNICEF/UNFPA joint program on FGM/C;
- Provide advice to UNICEF as administrative agency in planning and developing strategies and determining priorities/targets and performance measurements in the areas of social norms particularly FGM/Child Marriage. Coordinate monitoring and ensure results are achieved at the field level according to schedule and performance standards and report to UNICEF critical issues for timely action.
- Provide technical assistance/advice to members of the partnership on all aspects of programming and implementation to enable partners to achieve program/performance objectives.
2. Advocacy, networking and partnership building (10 %)
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through networking and advocacy with local/national governments, UN system agency partners, donors, internationally recognized institutions, NGOs, funding organization, research institutes and private sector to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities to promote goals and achieve sustainable and broad results on social norms particularly FGM/C and Child Marriage.
- Prepare communication strategies and implementation plans and activities for maximum communication impact and outreach to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances for sustainable results.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF as administrative agency and in inter-agencies (UNFPA, UNICEF and WHO) discussions and planning on FGM/C and Child Marriage and related issues Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues planning and preparation of programs/projects.
3. Program monitoring and quality control of results (10 %)
- Plan and/or collaborate with monitoring and evaluation initiatives to establish benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators, to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results in child protection programs.
- Participate in major monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to engage stakeholders to take required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Support the partnership members to monitor programs/projects to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Support and coordinate actions to plan, monitor and control the use of program resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) certifying/verifying compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity. Ensure timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Facilitate submission /preparation of program/project reports to donors and other partners to keep them informed on program progress and critical issues.
- Coordinate and manage the process of quarterly Steering Committee meetings, planned and ad hoc technical meetings as required.
4. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building (20 %)
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices for sustainable FGM/C and Child Marriage program/projects initiatives through advocacy and technical advisory services.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark, introduce and implement best and cutting edge practices on FGM/C and Child Marriage management and information systems. Institutionalize and disseminate best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development of policies and procedures and introduce innovation and best practices to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize/plan/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of stakeholders to promote sustainable results on related programs/projects.
- Ensure timely reporting and key dates are adhered to in the ‘Sudan free from FGM/C’ program.
Impact of Results
The strategic and effective advocacy, planning and formulation of child protection programs/projects and the achievement of sustainable results, contributes to the achievement of goals and objectives to create a protective environment for children against harm and all forms of violence and ensures their survival, development and well being in society. Achievements in child protection programs and projects in turn contribute to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to provide program services for mothers and children that promotes greater social equality in the country.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced University degree in Social Sciences or related technical field is required.
- Eight years professional experience in the field of child protection, communication for development, community development, or related professional field;
- Experience in social norms program including FGM and or child marriage;
- At least two years professional experience leading and managing large scale multi partner programs.
- Extensive field experience in developing country contexts;
- At least one year professional experience managing large scale multi partner programs;
- Prior experience in donor relations management, especially USAID and DFID is an asset;
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language, especially Arabic is an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and supervising (I)
- Formulating strategies/concepts (III)
- Analyzing (II)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Deciding and initiating action (II)
- Applying Technical Expertise (III)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Khartoum
- Grade: P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - International Law
- Legal - Broad
- Social Affairs
- Human Rights
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Children's rights (health and protection)
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Animal Health and Veterinary
- Closing Date: 2017-07-22