Youth and Adolescent Development Officer, NOA, TA, Homs, Syria
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Field Offices in Homs, and under Technical guidance of the Head of ADAP section in Damascus, the Youth and Adolescent Development Officer will be accountable for professional technical contribution to project design, planning, administration, monitoring and evaluation of ADAP activities, data analysis and reporting, and commitment for enhancement of teamwork and capacity building, in support of achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country strategy. As Adolescent programming cuts across UNICEF program components – child protection, education, health and nutrition and wash – the incumbent is expected to work closely with other program teams of UNICEF Syria Country Office. S/he will be based in the UNICEF Syria Office in Homs.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Programme/Project Coordination
The incumbent will ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective ADAP programme and project design, implementation, coordination, monitoring and evaluation. Draft sound ADAP programme budgets for review by the supervisor. Undertakes follow-up action on ADAP programme implementation activities and provides input to relevant reports. Drafts changes in programme work plans as required.
2. Project Efficiency and Effectiveness
Enhance project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources. Communicate with local counterpart authorities on project feasibility and effectiveness Provide analytical inputs to ADAP programme implementation reports and evaluates against established programme recommendations and plans of action. Prepares tables, graphs and other statistical data. Reports outcome of analysis and proposes corrective actions.
3. Work Plan and Project Documentation
Analyze collected data and information and prepare progress reports; draft changes in ADAP project work plans and assist in the drafting of inputs for Country Programme Recommendation and other project documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action.
4. Project Implementation Information and Data
Ensure the appropriateness of financial and administrative documentation; verify that ADAP project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database. Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies. Analyse financial reports to ensure appropriateness of documentation, expenditures are within allotments. Reports to the Chief of Field Office and the Head of ADAP section the outcome of reviews.
5. Knowledge Sharing
Compile ADAP project implementation training and orientation materials for those involved in programme implementation, including donor and media visits. Drafts relevant sections of reports (required for donors, management, annual reports, etc.) and play a leading role in proposal development; contribute to wider knowledge sharing and generation.
6. Communication and Networking
Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration. Collaborate with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial management. S/he will collaborate with local counterparts to exchange information on ADAP project implementation and status. The incumbent will coordinate with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to adolescents.
- First University degree in social sciences, such as social anthropology, sociology and youth development, or relevant degree, with a relevant focus in one or more of the following areas: child rights, child protection, education, community-based approaches, gender, life skills, adolescent development and participation, preferably in emergency settings.
- At least one year of professional work experience in ADAP or relevant areas of expertise, at the national and local levels. Experience in Education and Child Protection are strong assets, with additional emphasis on working with and for adolescents and young people, program guidance, technical support, networking and partnerships.
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Ability to work well in a team and under pressure and in response to changing needs, as well as the ability to plan well, set own targets and meet them.
i) Core Values (Required)
Commitment • Diversity and Inclusion • Integrity
ii) Core Competencies (Required)
• Communication [ I ] • Working with People [ I ] • Drive for Results [ I ]
Functional Competencies (Required)
• Applying Technical Expertise [ I ] • Relating and Networking [ I ] • Analyzing [ I ]
Planning and Organising [ I ]
CONDITIONS OF WORK
Posts are Homs and Qamishli-based with frequent travel within Homs and Hama governorates and Al-Hassekeh, Raqqa and Deir Azzour governorates. Work implies frequent interaction with UNICEF staff at all levels within UNICEF Field Office, the humanitarian community; especially sector partners particularly UN agencies, Government officials, national and international NGOs involved in emergency operations.
Duration : 364 days
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Homs
- Grade: NO-A, National Professional Officer
- Social studies
- Closing Date: 2017-07-24