Junior Project Engineer (Internship), Multiple positions
Pristina | Nepalgunj | Pristina | Pristina
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS (Pristina Project Center) is the implementing partner for the IBM project on behalf of the European Union office in Kosovo and the Government of Kosovo. Kosovo and Serbia have agreed to begin implementation of the IBM programme, which is the European model of cooperation between states to increase security and control on shared borders and counter smuggling, human trafficking and other illegal activities. This project is specifically related to the EU funded Kosovar IBM Project whereby three common crossing points will be constructed through a direct grant modality from the EUoK to UNOPS PRPC. The scope of activities will be management of the Design development stage and then the management of the construction contractor/s for the construction of the three common crossing points, UNOPS will also procure goods and equipment for the fit out of the buildings. The project has commenced in December 2015 with expected handover of the final common crossing point by late 2018.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
- Support the procurement activities from bid preparation, evaluation to contract award; preparing contract and amendments, administration to certification of payments;
- Assist the PE in preparing review notes for every submission, highlighting pertinent information affecting procurement principles and outcome of the process;
- Assist the PE to ensure appropriate procurement record/filing system as per UNOPS recommendations;
- Assist the PE in to ensure availability of necessary documentation relating to the procurement process: TORs/specifications, advertisements, solicitation documents, evaluation reports, signed undertakings, recommended offer, protests if any and response, draft contract, and CAP all minutes;
- Request additional information and/or missing documentation from the PRPC Projects;
Under the overall oversight of the PRPC Infrastructure Project Manager and direction of the UNOPS Project Engineer and in close coordination with the project personnel, the Junior Project Engineer will support the PRPC Project Engineer by assisting with all construction management tasks required to ensure timely, cost effective, safe and quality delivery of the project. He/she shall perform the following duties and responsibilities to support the Project Engineer, but not limited to:
- Assist the PE in ensuring works are carried out in accordance with contracts, specifications, drawings, etc.;
- Assist the PE in problem solving in a timely manner;
- Assist the PE in preparing daily, weekly and monthly project reports and photos;
- Assist the PE in maintaining of the following project documentation:
- Payment register and variation register
- Document transmittals and document transmittal register
- Site correspondence sheets and Site correspondence sheets register
- Non-conformance, non-conformance register
- Technical query and technical register
- Site instruction and site instruction register
- Site safety inspection report
- Drawing register
- Safety induction registers
- Material approval schedule
- Assist the PE in preparation of meeting agendas and minutes, project coordination meeting minutes and contractor meeting minutes in English and Albanian or Serbian for approval;
- Liaise to follow-up on progress with design and contractor offices as required;
- Assist the PE in setting Occupational Health & Safety examples on site through exemplary behavior and identifying deficiencies;
- Assist the PE when attending contractor coordination meetings, maintain minutes and issue;
- Carrying out other similar tasks as assigned by the PRPC IBM Deputy Project Manager and Project Engineer;
- Assist in translation written/spoken Albanian and/or Serbian English.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Infrastructure related filed, civil engineering is an asset;
- Computer literate with in-depth knowledge if Microsoft Office- Word, Power Point, and Excel;
b. Work Experience
- No previous work experience is required; the candidate can be newly graduated, currently in a course of higher education, or have completed their studies in the last 3 years with some work experience.
- Computer literate with in-depth knowledge if Microsoft Office- Word, Power Point, and Excel.
- Multi-tasking, flexibility and attention to details while maintaining a high service level.
- Excellent command of English a must, Albanian and Serbian required.