Education Specialist, (NO-3), Azerbaijan, Baku (open to citizens of the Republic of Azerbaijan)
As Education Specialist, you will be responsible for the effective management of a key part of UNICEF’s programme in Azerbaijan, helping to bring quality education to all children, including some of the most vulnerable. This post is responsible for – amongst other duties – overseeing the implementation of inclusive education for children with disabilities in the mainstream school system, supporting the expansion of the school preparedness programme for 4-5 year olds, and the full integration of a pilot disaster risk reduction initiative in schools. You will need vision and energy, and a commitment to bring quality learning to all children in Azerbaijan, with a specific focus on children currently not fully benefiting from education. This will involve creating demand within communities, as well as providing technical inputs to improve the delivery of education through teacher training, curriculum development and enhanced classroom methodologies. You will work closely with partners in government to support policy developments that create an enabling environment, backed with the necessary funds and technical expertise, to deliver a first-class education system for every child. In addition to your expertise in education, you will also have a working knowledge of the global development contexts, and be able to advocate at the highest levels of government and the international community.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
As Education Specialist, you will be responsible for the effective management of a key part of UNICEF’s programme in Azerbaijan, helping to bring quality education to all children, including some of the most vulnerable.
This post is responsible for – amongst other duties – overseeing the implementation of inclusive education for children with disabilities in the mainstream school system, supporting the expansion of the school preparedness programme for 4-5 year olds, and the full integration of a pilot disaster risk reduction initiative in schools.
You will need vision and energy, and a commitment to bring quality learning to all children in Azerbaijan, with a specific focus on children currently not fully benefiting from education. This will involve creating demand within communities, as well as providing technical inputs to improve the delivery of education through teacher training, curriculum development and enhanced classroom methodologies. You will work closely with partners in government to support policy developments that create an enabling environment, backed with the necessary funds and technical expertise, to deliver a first-class education system for every child.
In addition to your expertise in education, you will also have a working knowledge of the global development contexts, and be able to advocate at the highest levels of government and the international community.
Key Expected Results
- Support to programmes/projects development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
- Support to programme/project development and planning
- Support the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis for the education programmes/projects and/or sector to ensure that current comprehensive and evidence based data on education issues are available to guide UNICEF’s strategic policy advocacy, intervention and development efforts on education programmes and to set priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance programme management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic programme discussion on the planning of education programmes/projects. Formulate, design and prepare programmes/projects proposal for the sector, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF’s Strategic Plans and Country Programme and coherence/integration with UN-Azerbaijan Partnership Framework (UNAPF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans for the sector/s using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for programme review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programmes/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector on education programmes.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, programme reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in programme and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programmes/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral programme resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular/mandated programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress.
3. Technical and operational support to programme implementation
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and country office partners/donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on education and related issues to support programme management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Arrange/coordinate availability of technical experts with Regional Office/HQ to ensure timely/appropriate support throughout the programming/projects process.
- Participate in education programme meetings including programme development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information, advice and support.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic programme materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
4. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with relevant government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and to reinforce cooperation to achieve sustainable and broad results on education programmes.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO programme advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for education programmes.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on education and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNAPF planning and preparation of programmes/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNAPF process in development planning and agenda setting.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable programme results.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best practices in education management. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programmes and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on education and related programmes/projects.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University Degree in education, economics, psychology, sociology or other social science field is required.
- At least five years of relevant professional experience in education policy development, preferably including capacity enhancement, sector budgeting and strategic planning is required
- Proven technical knowledge or practical experience on the principles of early childhood development, inclusive education and the design and implementation of pilot programmes is an asset
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Azerbaijani. Fluency in Russian is a distinct advantage.
- Prior experience working in the UN system or other international development organizations, as well as a working knowledge of the Azerbaijan public sector, to be beneficial.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication - Level II
- Working with People - Level II
- Drive for Results - Level II
- Leading and supervising - Level I
- Formulating strategies and concepts - Level II
- Analyzing - Level II
- Relating and networking - Level II
- Deciding and Initiating action - Level I
- Applying technical expertise - Level II
- Some understanding of the overall global development context, including issues such as: poverty, conflict and the impact of these factors on education and vice-versa; and inter-sectoral approaches to address such issues in collaboration with other sectors (including Social Policy, Child Protection, Nutrition, WASH, Health and Communications within UNICEF).
- Some knowledge of global developments in education and international engagement strategies, including the application of the equity lens and human rights perspectives to programming.
- Some ability to support policy dialogue: translation of analytical findings and evidence into development programmes and policy discussions around equity and learning with partners, including government, development partners, CSOs and academia in relevant areas.
- Some education sector planning knowledge/ability, including the range of modalities for delivering education, linkages between different sub-sectors (e.g. ECD, Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, Inclusive Education), cost-effectiveness and efficiency issues, key institutional structures, components and processes, as well as governance issues.
- Some education and policy sector analysis capacity, including understanding of the core education data sets, indicators, tools for analysis of equity, determinants of student access and learning, budget, cost and financing, education system management, political economy and application to education policy and strategic planning.
- Some programme management in education, including programme design, costing, monitoring and evaluation and reporting.
- Some ability to support engagement with partners (e.g. Sector Wide Approaches, Global Partnership for Education, Education in Emergency Clusters, Education Provider Forums, Delivering as One, Inter-sectoral partnerships such as in ECD), as well as networking with other key partners.
- Some understanding of gender and inequity issues in relation to education and development and the application of gender / equity analysis to policy and planning in education.
- Some understanding of policies and strategies to address issues related to resilience: risk analysis and risk management, education in conflict situations, natural disasters, and recovery.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Baku
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Education, Learning and Training
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-08-04