Consultancy- Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA )on English and Somali language for Accelerated Education Program- NRC
Terms of Reference for Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA )on English and Somali language for Accelerated Education Program- NRC
Dadaab refugee camp’s population stood at 343,043 (50.1% female) in May 2016 which has reduced to 246,517 as of 31st May, 2017. It is largely of Somali origin (95.2%), with 4.8% from 12 other nationalities, including Burundi, Ethiopia, Rwanda, South Sudan and Uganda.
Conflict and poverty in the refugees’ countries of origin have contributed to education being interrupted for many of the camp’s adolescents and youth. According to a May 2016 UNICEF report, of the 170,510 children of school age in the camp, only 86,914 are accessing education Average gross enrolment ratios for pre-primary stand at 51%, primary 63% and secondary 10%, with net enrolment much lower, signifying a large number of overage children. The gender parity indices for pre-primary, primary and secondary enrolment are at 0.83, 0.75 and 0.42 respectively. Quality of teaching and learning remains poor with high dropout rates and low learning outcomes.
Objectives of Accelerated Education Program (AEP)
The Accelerated Education Programme (AEP) increases access to basic education for out-of-school adolescents and youth in Dadaab. AEP uses an accredited, condensed, basic education curriculum delivered through a non-formal mechanism. The programme is designed and delivered in accordance with the Accelerated Education Working Group principles. The AEP target overage, out-of-school adolescents and youth between the ages of 10 and 17. Age verification is done using UNHCR registration documentation. Learners are assessed on entry to ensure they are placed in an academic level appropriate to their previous learning experience (if any) and their level of cognitive maturity, ensuring age-appropriate content and methodologies are offered. The curriculum being recognized by the governments of Kenya and Somalia will allow AEP graduates to gain or regain entry into formal schooling, and therefore aid their reintegration in either the host or home country, in case of repatriation to Somalia.
NRC has been implementing AEP in Dadaab since 2013, with a current enrollment of 1403 (907M,406F) adolescents and youth benefitting.
2. OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSESSMENT
The assessment is to be conducted at the 6 AEP centers in Dadaab Refugee Camps (Hagdera, IFO, IFO2 and Dagahaley) with an enrolment of 1,403 learners. This is expected to act as a baseline for the EdTech project for Rapid Response in Acute Emergencies; an ICT-based literacy project implemented in Dadaab refugee camp, Kenya. The test has to be conducted in English and Somali languages. The tools to be used in the study has to be approved by the Ministry of Education Kenya/Somalia.
The Assessment specific objectives are:
· Develop a simple broad-based method to assess children’s competencies, particularly in literacy (English and Somali);
· Collate and analyse camp based data on learners’ competencies
· Communicate the information in a comprehensive and simple manner that can be understood by the organization, parents and donors
4. SCOPE OF WORK
The EGRA Assessment will be limited to learners at the AEP centers managed by NRC in Dadaab refugee camps (Hagadera, Ifo, Ifo2 and Dagahaley) with a total enrolment of 1,403 learners
- Inception report and inception meeting
a) EGRA ASSESSMENT: Detailed explanation of assessment methodology, including survey design, sampling methods, data collection tools, final time schedule, data entry, arrangements for supervision and validation of data collected and report writing
- Presentation of preliminary findings in a draft report and for input by program team
- Presentation of Final reports in soft copy and four booklet copies.
6. Technical Proposal
The technical proposal should include
· A brief explanation about the Consultancy firm and /or Consultant/s with particular emphasis on previous experience in this kind of work/assessments; profile of the Consultant/s to be involved in undertaking the works;
· CV detailing key qualifications of the professional as outlined above
· Understanding of the TOR, the tasks to be accomplished as well as detailed draft plan.
7. FINANCIAL PROPOSAL
The financial proposal should provide professional fees and all costs required for undertaking this consultancy.
7. Duration and timeframe
The duration of the assignment will be a total of 20 days, from the date of contract signing.
Inception report and inception meeting
Data collection and analysis
Preliminary report findings presentation
8. Qualifications and Expertise required
· Post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, Education, or any related field
· Minimum of 10 years’ relevant professional experience in conducting similar tasks, particularly with recognized institutions and in a refugee set-up
· Proven experience in conducting EGRA assessments in a Somali refugee context
· Proven knowledge and understanding of Accelerated Education Program and policies guiding the same in Kenya
· Excellent communication and report writing skills
· Fluency in English
· Applicants must send a technical and financial proposal to the contact person indicated in the advertisement.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kenya
- Grade: International Consultant
- Education and Training
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-08-02