National Programme Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Programme Development and Management
- Inter-agency Coordination Support
- Strategic partnerships and resource mobilization Support
- Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to programme partners
- Advocacy support and Knowledge building and management
- Contributes to the identification of key economic security and rights issues and challenges for women in Timor-Leste. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to policy goals, leading to the formulation of substantive policy advice.
- Keeps abreast of new policy developments and strategies related to women’s economic empowerment (WEE), analyzing policy papers, strategy documents, national plans and development frameworks, and prepares briefs and inputs for policy dialogue, technical assistance coordination, and development frameworks.
- Participates in the design and formulation of WEE programme initiatives translating UNW’s priorities into local interventions and ensuring substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches.
- Helps ensure quality of programme/projects design and implementation incorporating lessons learned, newly developed policies and best practices and establishing appropriate execution and monitoring mechanisms and systems.
- Expedites and coordinates programmes/projects implementation establishing collaborative relationships with executing agencies, experts, government counterparts and other UN agencies facilitating timely and efficient delivery of inputs.
- Ensures effective application of RBM tools and monitoring achievement of results
- Conducts field visits to supervise, coordinate and monitor field level activities related to WEE.
- Provides substantive support to the UN Women Head of Office on inter-agency coordination related activities.
- Takes part in country level UNDAF processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process.
- Prepares substantive inputs to UNDAF review/ monitoring and other documents including analyzing and researching the political, social and economic situation in the region.
- Under guidance prepares analytical and regular progress reports on UN Women´s program experiences in support of UN women inter-agency coordination role.
- Supports strategic partnerships and resource mobilization efforts by preparing relevant documentation, i.e. project summaries, conference papers, speeches, donor profiles, and participating in donor meetings and public information events.
- Provides inputs to resource mobilization strategies, analyzing and maintaining information and databases on donors and developing database of project profiles for presentation to donors
- Helps create and coordinate partnerships with the UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Analyses and researches information on donors, prepares substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing.
- Follows up on resource mobilization activities for fund raising for new projects in coordination with the UN Women Head of Office.
- Provide partners with technical assistance, training and capacity development support on WEE as needed.
- Support development of policies and institutional capacity that will address economic development problems and needs in collaboration with the Government, civil society organizations and other strategic partners.
- Provide active participation and contribution of UN Women perspectives to relevant conferences, fora and meetings addressing women’s economic security and rights, inclusive growth and government accountability issues.
- Proactively and substantively supports and implements relevant, high-impact advocacy activities and campaigns with key partners.
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the programme; responding to emerging challenges;
- Helps create and document knowledge about current and emerging trends by analyzing programme, projects, strategies, approaches and ongoing experience for lessons learned, best practices, and shares with management for use in knowledge sharing and planning future strategies.
- Proactively contribute to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Integrity: Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
- Cultural sensitivity and valuing diversity: Demonstrate an appreciation of the multicultural nature of the organization and the diversity of its staff. Demonstrate an international outlook, appreciating difference in values and learning from cultural diversity.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Development and Innovation: Take charge of self-development and take initiative
- Work in teams: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication
- Self-management and Emotional Intelligence: Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behavior towards others
- Conflict Management: Surface conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Continuous Learning and Knowledge Sharing: Encourage learning and sharing of knowledge
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making: Demonstrate informed and transparent decision making
- Demonstrated development/programming skills particularly those that are pertinent to UN Women strategic priorities on gender equality and women’s rights
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them for development results
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management principles and approaches
- Ability to establish and maintain broad strategic networks and partnerships with UN agencies and other international partners to promote partnership and build alliances to advance organizational interests and competencies
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Demonstrated good oral and written communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or Bachelor with 4 year of experience) in Economics, Gender studies, Human Rights Social Sciences or related field.
- Master degree with 2 years of relevant experience or Bachelor degree with at least 4 years of relevant experience at in at the national or international level working with development projects including hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects, preferably in the field of Women’s Economic Empowerment, rural development, agriculture, gender or human rights of women.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of official national language essential.
UNWOMEN is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.