Consultancy: Digital Content Producer (French), Division of Communication, New York, USA
New York City
The Digital Strategy Section (DSS) within the Division of Communication comprises Web, Social Media and Multimedia teams working together to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital services within the organization. Through multiple platforms and in multiple languages, DSS draws attention to the many facets of UNICEF’s work, encouraging public support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability. Web stories, blog entries, photo essays, Facebook posts, Twitter campaigns, and videos for distribution via UNICEF.org, YouTube, news media and other outlets and platforms – all are a part of our digital storytelling. By measuring and testing our efforts, we also use data to inform content and engagement choices.
DSS seeks to hire a consultant Digital Content Producer (French). The consultant is responsible for daily production of unicef.org/french and oversight of French social media, production of such special projects as microsites and coordination of the French-language version of the global blogging platform. Included is strategic localization of content, coordination of page production, as well as publication, placement and uploading onto RSS and video feeds. A core function is to support localization, as part of UNICEF’s multi-year digital transformation. The consultant is charged with being the focal point for the French language variant of this transformation project. This work cannot be done internally because of the lack of staff capacity.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
- Make daily production updates to unicef.org/french
- Work with translators to ensure quality and uniform content delivery
- Work with Web editorial, development and design teams to build Web pages to UNICEF and DSS specifications
- Carry out all aspects of page production, including formatting text, placing video, optimizing images for the Web, rendering artwork containing text in French
- Collaborate with colleagues across DSS, providing support as necessary, e.g. voiceovers, video scripts, graphics, marketing, social media
- Contribute to the normative work of the team, including reporting
- Coordinate with Regional and Country Offices and National Committees, serving as a focal point for all French content for the global website and global blog
- Log and raise technical issues with the content management system (CMS) and related production technology with technical team
- Generate content for UNICEF French social media platforms, in collaboration with other social media coordinators and community managers
- Post press releases in French
- Respond to inquiries made through unicef.org/french
- Carry out production and coordination for special projects
- Work primarily in OpenText (RedDot) CMS, and any CMS that may be rolled out, light HTML, and use other programs as required, including Adobe Photoshop
- Be on rotational call weekends and holidays, as part of section coverage plan
- May be required to travel
- Perform other tasks, as required
Supervisor and timeframes for reviewing milestones and performance
Communication Specialist (Head of Web), DSS/DOC. Reviews conducted every 6 months and at the end of contract
Performance indicators for evaluation of results
- Standard UNICEF performance evaluations conducted every 6 months and at end of contract
- Timely and accurate updates to the website
- Timely management of social media
- Timely contributions to French language variant of digital transformation project
- Timely delivery of deliverables and adherence to timeline and set deadlines
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required
- Fluent in French, have a good management of English and excellent translation skills
- Good communication skills
- Five years of experience in a media or new media environment
- Content management experience
- Social media experience
- Ability to coordinate Web content professionally
- Proficient in HTML and image optimization (Adobe Photoshop)
- Detail-oriented, creative, able to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- CMS, especially OpenText (RedDot), is highly desirable
- Experience with Wordpress is desirable
- Experience with Drupal is desirable
- Knowledge of technical implementation of French language variant in digital ecosystem is desirable
- Web and graphic design experience are a plus
Monthly submission of invoices paid in USD
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.